Hi, I am 52 years old and two months ago I started to feel pain in my hips and groins. At first, I though that it couldn’t be anything serious, but now it has become a chronic pain. I worked on building construction for 20 years, sometimes in the bad weather conditions. Is it some kind of inflammation of nerves or joints? Could it be arthritis?

You didn’t describe your condition completely, but from what you said there is a chance that you have arthritis. Generally, most people believe that pain in the buttock signifies inflamed hip, but hip arthritis is characterized by pain in the groin. If you have difficulties to tie your shoe laces, if your movements are becoming slower and more painful or you can’t spread your legs completely you have some hip illness, but apart from arthritis it could be bursitis or pinched nerve in lower back. If you have chronic pain like you said, you should see a doctor to make a diagnose and start with treatment. For now, you could take some pain killers like Aspirin (if you don’t have peptic ulcer) take it always with glass of water or food. There are many other NSAIL (non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs), which are commonly used to stop the pain. Their side effects are seen on stomach, liver and kidneys. People keep taking them for long period of time, sometimes until the end of their lives, so potentially susceptible organs could be damaged. Most changes on hip joint are irreversible, and the rheumatoid illnesses can’t be cured, only further changes can be prevented or slown down.

just by the fact u worked construction, I WOULD SAY BURSITIS OR ARTHRITIS...for I worked HVAC, maintenance and cleaning for 30 yrs, and I have it...start w/ a rheumatologist, and go from there