Hello, folks. I have experienced recently some headaches. My brother has frightened me with possible brain herniation. I am not sure what exactly it is, so I would like to find out more. Could someone fill me in with more details? I will appreciate that very much. Thanks in advance. Bye!

Hi, there. Have you gone to the doctor? Brain herniation is a very serious condition. It is usually consequence of increased intracranial pressure. In that case, some parts of the brain can move towards foramen magnum (“the great hole”). The most dangerous thing is that cerebral stem can be incarcerated. There are some vital centers there like breathing center or vasomotor center. In that case, this is a life threatening center. That is why i strongly recommend you to visit your doctor! I hope your condition is not that serious. Bye!

So your brother scaring you with brain herniation was silly. People aren't herniating unless they are losing loss of consciousness, their pupils usually get unequal, and their breathing and heart rate become erratic. Basically if you are sitting here typing this you definitely do not have brain herniation. People usually get brain herniation when they have some kind of trauma to the brain or a bleed or stroke, in which case you would notice getting rammed in the head, or if one side of your body didn't work anymore. So who know what the headaches are from-of course it is a good idea to get it checked out, but you definitely do not have brain herniation!

This statement is not altogether true.  I had a severe brain herniation (compressing my brain stem) and I was still working 3 days before my emergency craniotomy.  So, you can have a brain herniation and still be functioning to a degree.  It is a very serious condition and is life threatening.