Hello everyone,

I went to see my sister in the hospital a few hours ago, she fell of the roof yesterday and broke her leg. Anyway, I went to see how is she feeling and there was this lady lying next to her and she has this thing called an Eisenmenger syndrome. She joined our conversation and the three of us talked for about an hour before the visit time was done.

I want to know more about this lady's condition. Can anyone tell me what exactly is this Eisenmenger syndrome and is it a life threatening condition, can it be treated and how dangerous is it exactly?

Hello Bee,

Eisenmenger syndrome is a condition which affects blood flow from the heart to the lungs in some people who were born with structural problems of the heart.

Most often, people with this condition are born with a hole between the two pumping chambers, the left and right ventricles of the heart. The hole allows blood that has already picked up oxygen from the lungs to flow back into the lungs instead of going out to the rest of the body.

It is a bit dangerous but I don't think that it is a life threatening condition, in the worst case, the person might need a heart-lung transplant. 

Hi Bee,

Well, how well the affected person does depends on whether another medical condition is present, and the age at which high blood pressure develops in the lungs. Patients with this condition can live 20 to 50 years.

There are a lot of possible complications which could happen to someone with Eisenmenger's syndrome and these include bleeding in the brain, congestive heart failure, gout, heart attack, hyperviscosity, infection in the brain, kidney failure, poor blood flow to the brain, stroke or sudden death.

There is a way to prevent this by having a surgery as early as possible to correct the heart defect.

Hello guys,

Thank you very much for your responses, Alan and Stradivarius, these were very helpful.

I see. I sure hope that this lady is going to live for many years more, she is very pleasant and she seems like a very nice person. Is there anything else that you can tell me about her condition?

I'd like to know if she is in pain? If she is, is she in a lot of pain, does it happen only sometimes or more often? Also, what are the medications that she might have to use, can they help her a lot and what are they exactly for, can they treat her condition or are they painkillers?

Good day there.  Eisenmenger syndrome can be a very big complication of a heart defect that you're born with. I mean, you are usually born with it. Now, that heart defect is causing a hole that develops between two chambers of your heart and usually that is the most common cause of Eisenmenger syndrome. This hole that we are talking about usually causes blood to circulate abnormally in your heart and lungs. With the increased blood flow returns to your lungs instead of going to the rest of your body. This all can cause permanent damage to your lungs. It can be dangerous. 

Hi everyone. There are a few ways to describe what this syndrome actually is, but there is one way that my doctor was telling me before. So, I have learned that  Eisenmenger's syndrome is defined as obstructive pulmonary vascular disease. This disease usually develops as a consequence of a large pre - existing left  -to - right shunt causing pulmonary artery pressures to increase and approach systemic levels. Usually, that can be direction of blood flow and after that it becomes bi- directional or right – to – left. I have learned this because my aunt has this disease, and I never knew what this actually is.

In several ways this syndrome can be extremely dangerous. For example, fall in blood pressure is response to anesthetic and it can be very dangerous if you have this syndrome and especially if you are a women. In this case it needs to be careful and very closely monitored. Maybe doctor will prescribe some drugs in this case. But there are a few of them that should be avoided but I am sure that your doctor will tell you more about this. It can be a big problem if lady is pregnant. I don’t know what doctors recommend in this case.