Hi, I have been experiencing intense pain in my lower back that sometimes radiates on my left leg for a really long time. My wife insisted that I should see a doctor and because the pain was getting stronger I decided to listen to her. The doctor preformed a number of physical tests and said that he suspected that I have a spinal disc herniation. He said that he will also have to do a MRI scan to be sure. I didn't understand what exactly spinal disc herniation means. Can you tell me what the purpose of these spinal discs is? How will the herniation of spinal disc affect my life?

Hi, I have been diagnosed with spinal disc herniation when I was thirty two. The doctor told me that this condition is usually connected with repetitive lifting of heavy weights or prolonged sitting. I work in a bank so I guess that my herniated disc was induced by the second reason. Like you, I tried to disregard the pain. Finally, one day I wasn't able to get out of bed, because of the pain. When the pain eased up, I went to see a doctor. I was also very confused with my doctor's explanation of spinal disc herniation, but after a few visits I was able to understand the process. You see, there are discs made out of cartilage between the bones that build up our spine. These discs are a kind of shock absorbers that protect the vertebrae, which is the name of spinal bones. When the outer layer of a disc is damaged the softer inside can spill out and pressure the spinal cord nerves. In our cases, the damaged discs are in the lower part of the spine and that is why we feel pain in our legs. The treatment is really not that hard to follow. My doctor referred me to a physical therapist and this kind of therapy really helped me. He also assembled a workout program for me to do at home. When the pain gets stronger, I use pain killers and try to rest. So you can see that herniated disc is not going to affect your everyday life very much. There are just a few small changes you will have to make. These changes have actually improved my life. I hope that you will have a similar experience.