Hey everyone,

We bought an apartment recently, my family and I, after years of paying rent. Now, like it always happens when someone finally buys a place to live, a lot of our cousins came to congratulate us. One of our cousins couldn't come, and although his parents didn't want to tell us right away, later they explained that he was diagnosed with mitral insufficiency and had to stay in the hospital for additional observations. They are trying to hide this from everyone.

I'm kind of scared for his condition now, does anyone happen to know if this mitral insufficiency is life threatening for patients?

In mitral insufficiency, the mitral valve does not close properly with hearth, when your heart pumping out blood. Symptom of mitral insufficiency is: 1. Table of blood flow in the heart 2. Swollen feet 3. Breath shortness 4. Orthopnea Risk factors in mitral regurgitation. Like, 1. Heart attack 2. Heart disease 3. Rheumatic fever Many options are available for diagnose mitral insufficiency. Such as Echocardiogram, ECG, X-ray, cardiac MRI, stress test etc. You can follow the doctor's instruction after diagnose your disease. Such type of treatment may be preferred by doctors like medications, surgery, valve repair, valve replacement.

Regards,

Hey there Health n Joy,

It all depends actually, this condition can be both mild and severe. This condition is mostly found in its mild form when it might not even show any signs and symptoms, then it is completely harmless and requires no treatment. They probably held him in the hospital so they can know how serious is his situation.

In case that the situation is serious, usually a surgery is required in order to repair or replace the damaged valves. If one severe case isn't treated on time, this condition can cause heart failure and some other heart arrhythmias.

Hey Health n joy,

I'm assuming that your cousin is just having a non life threatening form of mitral insufficiency, the mild one, since he is still that young. Usually, the more severe cases are found in older people so I'm guessing that he is going to be okay even without any special treatment.

Even if he does require a surgery, they always end well so no worries about that. If I am right and he just has a mild form of mitral insufficiency, he will need no special treatment but he will need to visit his doctor from time to time for some regular monitoring.

Hey everyone,

Not quite the info that I was looking for, CostaMesaUrgentCare, but it is definitely useful so thank you for helping me out.

As for the others, I'm not so scared about his condition anymore now that you explained this to me. I mean, you said that even if he is having a severe case of mitral insufficiency, he will have to have a surgery and these surgery always end in a good way. So I'm calm now, thank you for that.

Is there anything else that it would be useful for me to know about this matter, anything at all?

Good day everyone. Of course that it is life threatening. Sometimes the treatment is not necessary, but if it is, your doctor may begin by treating you with medications. That is the first step in any kind of the treatment. There are no medications that can actually fix the structural issues with your mitral valve. However, some medications can ease your symptoms or prevent them from getting worse. These medications may treat abnormal heart rhythms (antiarrhythmics), thin your blood (anticoagulants), slow your heart rate (beta blockers), or reduce accumulation of fluid in your lungs (diuretics). I am sure that you don’t need to be scared.

Good day there guys.
First, you should know that mitral regurgitation is a disorder in which the mitral valve on the left side of the heart does not close properly. Regurgitation means leaking from a valve that does not close all the way. It is usually the most common type of heart valve disorder and you can easily recognize it because of the symptoms. Well, the good thing is that this is actually life – threatening and that doctor can find the best therapy for this problem. You just need to listen to him, his advice and his recommendations.
Have a nice day.

Hey there everyone.

I believe that it depends on is it acute or chronic.  Acute severe mitral regurgitation is life threatening and needs to be treated almost immediately. On the other hand, chronic is condition that is much more common and basically means the disease is present for years and typically progresses slowly. Valve disease is usually clinically silent for many years and may only be picked up by the presence of a murmur. Anyway, both of them needs to be treated and both of them can be treated with good medications and consultation with your doctor all the time.

Hey everyone.

I was asking myself exactly the same question when my ex - boyfriend's brother was diagnosed with it. It was really hard to tell in his case is mitral insufficiency life - threatening because he didn't discover on time that he is having problem with it. I remember that my ex was so scared thinking that something bad can happen to his bro. Luckily, he had great team of doctors and they did almost impossible to get him back into the life. Now he is fine (I met him a couple of days ago, because I am not in the good relationship with my ex) and he told me that he is treating it with medications. So, it is life - threatening.