Hi, guys. I found out last night that our friends' kid has a brain atrophy. I am really sorry to hear this. I know what it is, in general, but I don't know how serious this condition is. Perhaps, someone here could fill me in with details. I would really appreciate this. Thanks in advance.

Hello, there. Brain atrophy is a condition that is a result from various brain diseases. Most of them are very serious. Those are: Alzheimer's disease, epilepsy, trauma, infections, congenital diseases like Huntington's disease, stroke, etc. Therefore, cerebral atrophy is a serious condition. If it is progressive, it can be fatal. If it is focused on only one part of the brain, then it can allow normal functioning. Treatment is mostly symptomatic and supportive. It all depends which disease has caused atrophy at your friends' kid. I hope he will be all right. Bye!