Hello! My father is sixty and he smokes a lot. I think he smokes more then twenty cigarettes a day. I tried to talk to him and explain how harmful smoking was for his health but he didn’t want to listen to me. He doesn’t have any serious health problems except coughing, especially in the morning. His coughing has lasted for years now. I think he has a chronic bronchitis. How is determined that someone has chronic bronchitis?

Hello! First of all your father has to visit his doctor who will ask him if he is coughing up mucus or is he having trouble breathing. You father will also be asked if his chest feels tight and how many cigarettes does he smoke each day. The doctor would also ask how many years has he been smoking. Your father will most probably be sent to the pulmonary function test, maybe even some blood tests and a chest x-ray. According the results the doctor will be able to decide if he suffers from chronic bronchitis or not.