Hello, folks. My friend has been hospitalized since he had some choking and drooling. I’ve found out that he is diagnosed with epyglottitis. As far as I know, he had intubation. I wonder if this procedure is really necessary here. I will appreciate all your replies considering this. Thank you for replying.

Hi. Your friend had to be hospitalized. Epiglottitis is a life-threatening condition. It is an inflammation of epiglottis. This is a cover that prevents food from coming into trachea. There are various factors that can cause epiglottitis. Those would be: throat injuries, burns or infections. In this situation, intubation is a must! A proper intubation that is done in time can save one’s life. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!

Hi, guys. Epiglottitis is an urgent medical condition. Endotracheal intubation is necessary. It secures the airway. Otherwise, the swelling of epiglottis will block the airway and a person couldn’t breathe. One could choke in this way. A tube usually remains for a week. When the swelling reduces, then it is safe to remove the tube. I hope your friend will be fine. Good luck!

Hi, everyone. Epiglottitis is really something that a prompt treatment is required. If endotracheal intubation fails, then a doctor can do tracheotomy. He places a needle directly into the cartilage of trachea. This secures immediate airway. The needle is removed when the airway is opened. In this way, doctor bypasses the larynx. If the infection caused this condition, then it is necessary to receive antibiotics intravenously. I hope this helps. Bye!