Hello, folks. My friend has been diagnosed with listeriosis. I have heard something about this disease. For instance, I know it is treated with penicillin, but I don’t know the details. I would appreciate if someone could tell me something more about this. Thank you in advance for all your help with this.

Hi, there. Listeriosis is not so common infection. It can affect people with weakened immune system. It is also characteristic for infants, pregnant women and elderly people. You are right. Penicillin is used here for treatment. Ampicillin is the antibiotic of choice when it comes to treatment. I hope this will help. Good luck to your friend. Bye!

Hello, guys. I have also heard that ampicillin is an antibiotic of the first choice here. The lasting of this treatment varies where the infection is located. For instance, if it causes brain abscess, it will last for at least 6 weeks. Pregnant women are treated for 2 weeks. Newborns are treated for 2 to 3 weeks. It all depends on several factors. I don’t know where your friend’s listeriosis is located. You can consult his doctor for more details. Good luck with all! Bye!

Hi, folks. Ampicillin is often used for treating listeriosis. However, there are people who are allergic to penicillin. In this case something else must be given. I think that it is usually sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim or commonly known as Bactrim. Patients are often hospitalized for monitoring and a proper care. You haven’t mentioned if this is your friend’s case. I hope he will get all the proper care he needs. Please, let me know how he’s doing. Good luck!