Hello. I am a woman 35 years old and I have just found out that I suffer from hypothyroidism. I have a great problem with mood swings. At one time I am all fuzzy inside, and next I want to rip all furniture and objects in my apartment. I live alone. I heard that there is a treatment for this, and I would be grateful if someone could tell me if it is effective.

I suffer from hypothyroidism, too. I am using a synthetic thyroid supplement as a treatment so I could rise the thyroid hormone to normal level. It is called Levo-T. It is effective but the thing is, as you know, that there is no cure for hypothyroidism, therefore, I have to take hormone treatment for the rest of my life. Luckily, thyroid conditions aren't usually life threatening and respond well to treatment.

Norrie-
I had hyperthyroidism about 17 yrs ago. I went through radiation therapy (15yrs ago) to destroy part of my thyroid function so now I am hypothyroid.
I found that I had really bad mood swings with both Hyper & Hypo.
It seems mood swings are one of the side effects of thyroid disease/
Try an anti-depressent of some sort. IT HELPS tremendously.
I've been on Paxil and now Paxil CR for a very long time and my mood swings are under control.

I know you wrote in some time ago but I just found your article.
Hope this helps.