Hi! I like to drink milk very much, and my children seem to have inherited this from me too, so we tend to use the milk a lot. Yet, I was afraid that too much cow milk is not that healthy so I introduced some soy milk and rice milk into our everyday nutrition as well. Me and my children like the difference in taste between all these three types of milk, and we especially enjoy the fact that they all exist in different flavors. But I have recently read that soy and rice milk are not so healthy, and it got me confused since I thought they were. What is the truth?

I really don’t know much about rice milk since I haven’t tied it yet, but I drink a lot of soy milk and know a lot about its health benefits. Although the benefits from soy are still being disputed, it is generally accepted that soy milk contains a high number of very healthy compounds. Soy milk is high in protein, and also contains considerably more fiber than cow's milk. It also contains Isoflavones which are connected the prevention of many cancers, heart disease, osteoporosis and more. I would want to warn you about one thing though if you are careful about your weight. Namely, soy milk does have a bit more fat than 2% cow's milk. Yet, the good news is that there is none of the nasty cholesterol which exists in cow’s milk.

I think that choosing what you and your children will eat or drink is your decision only. I have also read many articles and studies that say that soy milk is healthy, and many that claim the opposite. As far as the rice milk is concerned I haven’t found much information on whether it is healthy for you or not. What I do know is that rice milk is processed from brown rice and usually contains rice syrup or some other natural sweetener. Since it lacks in some nutritients it is almost always fortified with calcium or vitamin D. Rice milk is largely a source of carbohydrates, so it’s not a nutritional replacement for milk. I think that your choice of combining all three kinds of milk is a good one.

Soy and rice milk are much healthier than cow milk, for sure. :-)