I read a magazine article that said eatting soy products could cause problems with your thyroid medication. Is this true? I have hypothyroidism which has caused a weight problem. Most all weight loss shakes contain soy and all others contain milk of which I can not consume.
Is soy safe for me?

Hello! I have listened to so many stories about the benefits of soy but then I once ran into some opposite findings and I remembered that it had to do with hypothyroidism as that disorder is exactly what they mentioned.

In this research, it is told that the soy industry won’t talk about this as they are making heaps of money on soy nowadays because of its so many benefits. What they are not saying is that soy products increase the risk of thyroid disease. In this article they mentioned that isoflavones should be removed from soy products as it acts as anti-thyroid agent. Isoflavones are capable of suppressing thyroid function, and causing or worsening hypothyroidism.
So, I don’t think that you should be using any of these soy shakes. Maybe you can get one of the books that deal with hypothyroid disease. I am sure that you can find many good healthy diet propositions there.

Get the book called The Thyroid Diet, it is SOOO useful. It has chapters filled with information about vitamins and nutrients that both help and those that hinder thyroid problems. I am now n a list of noraml daily vitamins that are specific to helping me with hypothyroid.

Soy protein can inhibit absorption of synthroid - we were told about this when our daughter was a baby. She was born without a thyroid gland and takes synthroid daily. You just need to avoid soy around the time you take the medication, I've been told (probably an hour or so on both sides).