Hello everyone. My good friend told me today that her teenage girl is diagnosed with generalized anxiety. I am very sorry about this, I was really sad after I finished my conversation with her. 

But now, this whole situation it makes me wonder on thing - Is generalized anxiety disorder more common in teenagers or adults? When I think about this, I know some adults who were diagnosed with it, but it seems to me that there is so many teens at this moment who also have this diagnose.

Are there any rules or not?

If you do know anything, let me know.

I am very sad when I hear that teenagers have problems like that one. It is not fair! And I am sad because there is nothing that we can do about this. I think that some researches are telling us that this is the most common mental illness in the United States. It is affecting about 18 percent of the people, but adults. I believe that this type of depression is more common in adults in this case. Also, women are twice as likely to be affected than men. But your friend is having a daughter, maybe this is an explanation. I can' tell, but it affects more adults than teenagers, I think. I hope that she will be OK.

Look there, generalized anxiety disorder is one of the most common anxiety types. And it has no rules. 

You need to deal with the fact that It's not uncommon for teenagers to suffer from serious anxiety, and I do know how anxiety is difficult enough to deal with, but when you're also a teenager that is dealing with all of the issues of growing up and high school, it can become a real problem.

Guest, I have to disagree with you at this one. Generalized anxiety disorder is one of the most common anxiety disorders among adolescents and that is well known. It affects adults as well, but it is more common in teens. 

Well, if we were talking about regular, normal type of anxiety, I would definitely say teenagers, because they have a lot of things going in their lives and inside their heads, but for GAD, there are really no rules. However, when it comes to GAD caused by genetics, it is more common for adults to have this type of anxiety because it manifests itself only later on in life, unless something triggers it in the early phases of someone's life. But basically, I think it is the same, it can happen to teenagers and to adults in the same amount of cases.

Well, it is kind of the same for generalized anxiety disorder, it is easy to understand if you already know which things are causing generalized anxiety disorder.

GAD is mostly caused by genetics and like Gaia wrote above me, it manifests itself later on in life. The other big cause of GAD are traumas or abuse in early ages, which means that in this case, teenagers are the ones to suffer more from GAD. So it basically gets to be somewhere the same, both teenagers and adults can suffer from GAD, there are really no rules and neither one of them is more prone to GAD than the other one.

Anxiety is kind of more common in teens than it is in adults, if you ask me. Adults have their lives arranged and have their goals already set and they don't have much time to be anxious actually. But when it comes to teens, they are struggling, they are in that age when they are oversensitive and everything could hurt them. That is what makes them so prone to having anxiety or depression, you know. I believe that most cases of anxiety or depression are about teens actually. So if you ask me, I think that teens are more prone to anxiety than adults.

It's just the same. All of the causes that are responsible for generalized anxiety disorder can occur at any moment of people's lives so there are no really any rules here. Someone aged 15 and someone aged 40 are in the same danger of developing GAD because these causes are completely unpredictable. Therefore, there is no way in which someone can prevent GAD, that is one of the bad things when it comes to GAD. It is also very hard to treat it once you have it, you require a psychologist, someone to talk to every day, it requires a lot of hard work.