I'm 14 and started smoking Weed around May this year but I had my last smoke 38/39 days ago, I used to smoke around once a week, I've probably had it around 15 times but I stopped because I started suffering from Panic Attacks the last 3 times but I don't suffer from them anymore, will I be normal again? I developed an Generalized Anxiety Disorder like 2 days after I stopped and now I keep thinking things like I'll end up in a mental hospital, become insane, go mad, develop mental illnesses because I used to smoke weed, do you think the GAD is weed related? Do you think I'll end up going mental because of what I did, I regret everything which I did... :-(

Hi there, that's a common fear when you smoke up and have GAD. As someone who's been down that road, let me tell you the same thing I had to tell myself: no. You aren't crazy. You are actually very sane. But you have an issue with your brain which will--and this I promise you--go away. You have to work on it, but it will work. And yes, the GAD is likely weed related. IT was for me. Do you drink caffeine? I think you should also quit that if you want to get better faster. Trust me, it helps! Can you keep me posted?

OK, starting today, I'm going to stop drinking tea, how long do you think it will take for my GAD to go away? I keep thinking the weed has opened a gateway or something and I'm going to end up disabled/mad/dumb/stupid/insane etc. Will my brain develop normally like it should do? I only used to have weed like once a week, I totally regret going down the smoking road, I think it's a phase that all teens go through...

I will keep you posted, I only drink tea like once or twice a day, will my brain develop normally to its potential? I'm so scared and confused at times, it's like I'm just waiting to tick and go crazy... :'(

Okay breathe.

If you've stopped smoking weed then you have taken the first step to helping fix yourself and work on removing GAD.

For starters, one in three people will have some form of mental illness for at least a short period in their lives. Personally I have been a rather unlucky one and suffer long term from several different mental health issues.
This does not mean that you don't function as a person. Very few people who are mentally ill can even be noticed without someone pointing it out. They are the "unspoken mass" of people with mental illness - you most likely know one without being awear of it.
The only mental health issues the media focus on are those that cause extreme reactions, such a violence or complete mental breakdown leading to psychotic behaviour. This will more than likely NOT be you, so don't worry.

Weed is a gateway drug, if you have any pre-disposition to aniexty, depression or paranoia then it will start showing - even after you quit. But these will go away with some work, it takes lots to get someone to the level of total psychoctic breakdown. Even with longterm sufferers breakdown like you discribed is extremely rare.

It sounds like already you are taking control of the situation - which is the best thing you can be doing right now.

Take each day as it comes, and if this keeps up after a couple of months, go talk to a doctor who could help you without drugs, often aniexty can be treated with a short course of therapy, either one or one or in a group.

I found group therapy really helpful.

Keep us updated okay hun?

-x-x-x-

I want to let you know that you're taking the proper steps. The only problem now is that it WILL take awhile to get over it all. Generally it takes anywhere from a month to three to actually get over it, so do bear in mind that it takes awhile. In the meantime, you sort of just have to lie back and enjoy the ride, so tos peak. Have you had any other symptoms since last posting?