Hello everyone,

I am wondering if generalized anxiety disorder is something that can be prevented? I am interested to know about this because I heard that family history of generalized anxiety disorder can contribute to someone developing this disorder. Well, you see, my grandfather, my dad's father, was suffering from this condition. By what I could conclude, I am prone to having this disorder as well. So I am asking this because I want to prevent it, if there is a way to do it, of course. If there isn't a way to prevent this, can anyone tell me how I could treat it then?

Hello Guest,

I am sorry to tell you this but you can't really prevent generalized anxiety disorder if you are genetically prone to having it. You can, however, try to make your life as good as you can. You should surround yourself with good people who love and respect you, you should exercise on a daily basis, and you should travel. Traveling is the best thing you can do, I think, and try to eat healthy food, this can help, even if you are doubting it.

Treating this disorder requires professional help, like psychologist or psychiatrist, I wouldn't recommend fighting this disorder without any professional help.

Hi there!

Here is what I know about this issue. There is no way to predict or to prevent generalized anxiety disorder. According to doctors, that is quite impossible. But you can react before is too late. For example, when you realize that you have problems with this, you should really get help early. Also, you should avoid unhealthy substances to take, substances like drugs, alcohol, cigarette, etc. 

Don't be down because of it. If you can't prevent it that doesn't mean that you can't live nice and normal life, but only if you follow certain rules about healthy life. 

Just keep on going with your life and do the things that make you happy. The key to a happy life is to do what you want to do and what you love doing without overthinking everything. I have a problem with anxiety because I tend to overthink everything and it is slowly killing me on the inside. Don't do that. And don't think about anxiety, like the people above me wrote, you cannot do anything to prevent it other than being happy and not thinking too much.

Just live your life to the fullest, you know, like you are going to die tomorrow.

They are all right, Guest, you cannot prevent generalized anxiety disorder. The things that can cause this condition are unpredictable so there is nothing really that you can do about it. You already know that genetics are the most common cause of this condition. There are other causes which I don't know if you know about, and these are basically some big tragedies or anything else that could cause you a lot of stress.

As you can see for yourself, all of these things are unpredictable and therefore you cannot possibly do anything to stop them from happening (unless you can see the future).

Hello everyone,

I understand your point of view here. Well, I agree with you. But I am afraid because I feel anxious from time to time and I am not really getting along with people nowadays. I seem to have pushed everyone away from me but I don't think that I have generalized anxiety disorder yet, that is why I asked if there is a way to prevent this. I am really afraid that if I go and talk to a psychologist, that he is going to tell me that I am suffering from this condition. I don't know if I could handle it.

Hello everyone. I don't think that you can prevent it, but I believe that you need to find a way to understand it. That is one step in right direction. There is nothing such as anxiety or depression that you can prevent. You never know what can happen with you. 

But here is what you can do. You can take a care of your body bu eating some great foods, some well and balanced diet program. You should include a multivitamins when you can't eat everyday. 

Also, avoid a lot of caffeine, alcohol and drugs as well. That is the best thing that you can do for you and your body. 

Hey there.
The exact cause of this type of disorders are unknown and that is why it makes it very difficult to prevent axniety disorder, or even to predict who will develop them. But even if you can't prevent it, there are several ways that you can do to reduce anxiety or minimize future episodes.
That is what I call early prevention. Well, one of the early prevention cures is to reduce stress. We meet with stress everyday and we need to find a way to reduce it. For example, you can do that with walking every day, or to do some minor exercises as well. Try it, you have nothing to lose.

Hey. I agree with Coraima. Exercise programs are very good and they are going to help you feel much better. Those programs will help you for sure. It is actually a best thing to do, to walk. I never believed in this until my doctor told me that walking at least 30 minutes per day can do a lot. Also, one of the ways to control it is healthy way to eat. Anyway, I would recommend you to track a journal about your daily activities- what did you do per day, what you are eating every day. You will see what fits you the most in this case.