Hi there,

I am suffering from GAD, generalized anxiety disorder, this is a clinical diagnosis, I didn't come up with this by myself. I have been experiencing this weird sound intolerance lately and I was wondering if this might be just one of the symptoms of GAD or is there maybe more to this. I am also having fatigue from time to time but I think that I read somewhere before that fatigue is indeed a symptom of GAD but I wanted to ask you guys here about this as well, just in order to be sure, I'm looking forward to any info.

Hey Mommo,

I am curious about how long have you been suffering from anxiety. It is not an easy disorder to deal with but you kind of seem like you have learned how to cope with it already.

Fatigue is the most common symptom of all disorders and so many different conditions and it is definitely a symptom of generalized anxiety disorder. This sound intolerance that you are talking about is also a symptom of generalized anxiety disorder but it is not as common as fatigue, it doesn't affect all the people suffering from GAD, you are the lucky winner of this symptom.

Hey Eating Boss,

I appreciate the reply. It's going to be one year soon since I have been diagnosed with GAD but I assume that I already had it for about half a year before I was actually diagnosed with it.

It's good to know that this sound intolerance is caused by my anxiety, I really don't feel like dealing with one more disorder, even this one is a lot and I thought about giving it to someone, sadly, that is impossible (I would certainly do it if it was possible). My fatigue is gone, I didn't feel it once in these couple of days.

I know what you mean, been there, done that, but I just had a mild kind of anxiety so I managed to completely overcome it after some time but you my friend, you are stuck with GAD for the rest of your life (tell me if I am wrong, but generalized anxiety disorder can never be completely treated, am I right?). But you are doing great since you have already learned how to cope with it, hats down.

May I ask how did you manage to learn to cope with it? Did you visit a psychologist, did you use any medications?

Hi there. I also want to know something about medications? Do you use any of them? My husband is suffering from GAD as well, but it seems that no medications fits to him. I don't know why, but that is why he is not using them at all. He had those panic attacks that he could control it anymore. Anyway, that is why I need to know more about those medications. I am also aware that he needs to fight against it until the rest of his life, but I think that he can't deal with it without any medications. And that is why I really need to know what medications can be helpful. Please, let me know.

Hi there. Doctor needs to tell your husband about medications. No one else can do that.

But first, to deal with it you need to understand it. And a lot of people find it very hard to understand this type of condition.

I just happen to know that the causes of light and noise sensitivity are very often  called "generalized hypervigilance" and you can ask the doctor for more details, but I am sure that this means that our bodies are constantly on high alert. It's also a symptom of post-traumatic stress disorder. And I am really sorry because someone needs to struggle with it for the rest of life. 

Hi there. It can be hard but if you learn to live with it, you will be ok. Look, there is a great possibility to develop generalized anxiety disorder, it doesn't really matter are you a child or an adult. I developed it when I was a kid. You should know that generalized anxiety disorder has symptoms that are similar to panic disorder and to some other types of anxiety. But that doesn't mean that they all are in the same condition. They are not. Someone asked about the therapy, and in most cases, generalized anxiety disorder improves with medications or talk therapy. That is usually the cure. But living with GAD is really a huge challenge. For a life!

Hey, but I am almost sure that there are so many things that you can actually do about it. For example, making lifestyle changes, learning coping skills and using relaxation techniques also can help you deal with fatigue and sound intolerance. 

Those symptoms that you have are physical symptoms and you cannot treat them without help. Whenever you notice any of those symptoms, it is the right time to go and see your doctor. Now, a lot of people are talking about the causes of GAD, but unfortunately this disorder isn't fully understood, but it may include genetics as well as other risk factors.