One of the latest neurologist reports says that the use of methampetamines aka crystal meth or speed and the related drugs could be causing tears in major arteries and increasing the risk of stroke in people taking them.

Researchers examined two women who reported experiencing weakness and difficulty in speaking after methamphetamine use. Their brain scans revealed that they had suffered from severe strokes from tears in the inner lining of one of the major arteries in the neck, an injury known as carotid artery dissection.

A score over 16 on the National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale would indicate a high chance of death or severe disability. The women scored 17 and 21. They had no other stroke risk factors except for speed usage. Luckily, they managed to recover with mild to moderate disabilities after undergoing stroke therapy.

Scientists state that cocaine has pretty much the same effects as meth does and that its use has also been linked to aortic and carotid artery dissections. This finding suggests that the tears in arteries may be linked to a class of drugs rather than to a specific drug.

Further research will take place in order to determine if this were a frequent process with amphetamine use, so that stroke rise could be prevented in young adults.

lady i know old timers who did mdma and speed when it was good,well better then the c**p you get today..and they are just fine.as far as u know it may cure cancer when your 18 or immune you to aids..studie's.such bs..leave it to a typical desk jockey to find all the right answer's..bah if your so smart cure it then.instead of studying it.

You think you know it all uh! Well strokes can't be cured, they cause permanent damage, and I have a 25Yr old daughter that had no neurological symptoms before starting meth use and now her brain is mush. It takes her about 2 minutes to even realize someone is talking to her. Know your facts before you spout off! Of course if you are using meth, you probably won't be remembering any facts for long. Sorry!

you know nothing! A stroke is a brain disorder, and cannot be "cured" my dad who was 45 at the time had no prior medical history, and because of the use of meth he had a stroke, the type was the most severe. Bleeding in the brain for four days. Now were not saying everyone who abuses meth will have a stroke but it is certainly a possibility, so maybe you should get your sh*t straight. oh by the way you can't be "immune to aids", are you stupid?

In fact there is some truth to both siides meth abuse alongg with a list of other drugs can cause a stroke. Meth has been found to reverse the damaage of CVA

I overdosed on liquid meth ten years ago now and am sure it caused a stroke. I still suffer now with a chronic anxiety disorder after that 1 night. It has messed my life right up and am only 34. If you think u are clever taking meth you are a penis.

My son has been on meth for years and homeless, Sometime in June 2016 he was found on the street someone called 911 and he is now in a wheel chair, right side paralyzed. and speech is gone. I warned him for years to please stop, well now he has no choice but to stop. He has violent outbursts and yells at the people around him, he was not like this at all. Don't know how to communicate with him at all. So sad