Hi, I have a question over which my daughter and I argue. I suffer from high blood pressure and I believe that it is important for me to measure it few times a day. My daughter disagrees and says that I act like a hypochondriac and that it is enough to measure blood pressure once a day. Could you sort this disagreement and tell us is it ok to measure blood pressure a few times a day or just once?

Hi, high blood pressure is a serious condition that demands constant care. My mother also suffers from this condition, so I have a pretty good idea what your daughter goes through. I would like to ask you if you visit your doctor regularly. Do you follow your treatment to the letter? Is your doctor satisfied with your condition? If he says that you are doing ok, than you shouldn't worry too much. After all stress is one of the factors that contribute to high blood pressure. My mother also likes to measure her blood pressure few times a day. She takes her medicine regularly, but sometimes she just feels strange and she wants to make sure that her blood pressure is in order. However, there were a couple of situations when she needed emergency medical help. And when this happened she was looking so bad that I noticed something was wrong with her. Anyway, blood pressure varies throughout the day, depending on the weather, your diet and activities. If you feel all right I would say that you needn't measure your blood pressure few times a day, but if you get those high blood pressure symptoms you should check your blood pressure to see if the medications are working or you need more serious help.