Hello! My very close relative has been diagnosed with corneal dystrophy and she is extremely worried about that. She is not worried for herself though, since it is not a serious condition, but she worries for her children. She has two daughters and is afraid that they will inherit her problem. I don’t know if that is really the case so I can not comfort her enough. Is corneal disease in children inherited? Does this mean that her children already have it but just in the weaker form?

Not all corneal diseases are inherited. I think she should best seek advice from her doctor since her doctor is the only person who could know this with certainty. She can also have her daughters tested and see if everything is good regarding their vision. I think she should not worry even if she did pass them this gene; many children inherit much worse genes and still make it in their lives.

Not all corneal diseases are inherited- but, regretfully, corneal dystrophies usually are. There are several types and some of the most common corneal dystrophies include Fuchs' dystrophy, keratoconus, lattice dystrophy, and map-dot-fingerprint dystrophy. I don’t know which of these your friend has, and I also don’t know if some of them are more often passed on from parents to children than the others. It is a good idea to consult your doctor for precise details. I also agree that you shouldn’t worry since all of us eventually end up having some vision problems.