I want to cut 1 minute (or more) from my 5K time by 7-22-06.

Here are my stats:
PR 21:25, running for 5 years, average about 35-40 miles per week. Have a decent base, just completed marathon a couple weeks ago.

Any advice??????

how much speed work do you do?

:1: Pretty much everyone is going to tell you the same thing... do some intervals or hill workouts. 400's and 800's will definitely help you out. Or run up some nice hills with a recovery jog on the way back. Or you could up your mileage to 50+ a week. That'd do it too.

400's and 200's will get you faster for the 5k. You're base of 35-40 is nearly perfect for turning some fast 5k's. Aerobically I'd guess you're in good shape, all you need is to get stronger and condition yourself both mentally and physically to run faster.

I am beginning my intervals, 400, 800, and 1600s. Every Tuesday and Friday.

I have hills in my long run, but I focus on quality speedwork in lieu of hills.

More miles? C'mon, I'm looking for something easy!

Have I got the pill for you!

You're setting yourself up for injury if you're going to jump into speed work with two sets of intervals per week. I would switch that around to a tempo run on Tuesday and intervals on Thursday or vice versa.

I went back and looked at my log from last year when I set my PR and for a couple of months before that, I was running 8 x 1/2 mi. repeats at least once a week and one tempo day. (both on the treadmill for you haters) :P

Usually getting between 35-40 MPW during that time and ~200 MPW of cycling.

That's just my sample of 1 though. I'm no coach.

That cycling probably helped. I've considered cross-training. So I am hearing 1 tempo and 1 interval session per week. That makes sense, last year I ran 2 intervals and was wearing myself down.
Thanks all for the info.

......or if you like intervals vs tempo.......try cruise intervals....where it's more like a tempo run with breaks of slow running....no track or treadmill required. Run tempo pace for 10-15 minutes....5 minutes easy...repeat. Keep your interval training 1x week. And on one of your easy runs during the week......do 6-8 strides for 20-30 seconds with 40-60 seconds easy at the the end. So in essence you can have 3 days of higher end.

Thanks all for the info.
Or if you want to mix things up a bit, stay with 2 quality sessions a week. Go on a biweekly cycle where each week you have 1x intervals (5k/VO2 max pace) and the other day alternating between tempo and shorter, faster intervals (200s, 300s, 400s) each week.

Too right I have some advice !!! Having run a marathon a couple of weeks ago, you should be just running EASY miles for a month.
That gives you approx. 3 weeks until the 22nd. July and not enough time for speed work to make any significant difference.
As long as you have recovered well, your base training from the marathon MAY hold you in good stead for a quick time on the 22nd.
Is there another 5km. on the horizon ?

Is there another 5km. on the horizon ?
There always seems to be a 5K on the horizon, but after this 5K I am shooting for a 10K at the end of August. Trying to mix it up this year, (Marathon, 5K, 10K.)
I ran my first interval yesterday, (July 4th) and pretty much the same as last summer where I did not marathon. So you are probably right, I'll probably get the same time as last year, 21:30, but I'll run like heck and see if I can trim a bit of time from it.