Well I always said I could run far but not fast and had no desire to get faster even. I'm rethinking that. Running on the treadmill in the winter I felt I was running faster than it was saying. I had put a new belt on the treadmill I always use at the gym and although I recalibrated it it still seemed faster. Running what feels like the same pace as the mill is about 1 1/2 minutes faster per mile according to my garmin. I been running about 10-10:15 miles outside now and had been doing what the treadmill said was 12 min. miles. :? Anyway, this is not fast for most people I know but I feel the desire to push myself harder when it comes to speed these days. I have felt very good the past few weeks, the injury to the leg all but gone. My fastest mile ever was 8:33 about 3 years ago in a test I did at the track. 2 years ago I ran a 10K at 9:27 pace, my best race ever. I have given up on 5K's never being fast at the start and focus on the longer distances and have negative splits most all the time. I'm currently running about 15-20 MPW with a long run of 7-10 each week too. I want to get my mileage to 25-30 mpw as I prepare for another half the end of September. Can I do some speed work now or wait till I get my mileage up a bit?? Also so suggestion for speed work and make it simple and spell it out please. My goal is to maybe run 9:30 miles consistantly. Thanks. :wavey:

IMO you really need to up your mileage..a half marathon is 13 miles, and in your entire week you've been doing only 2-7 miles more than that. I would concentrate on getting your mileage to 30 mpw, and once your comfortable there, start doing speedwork once every week.

I just did a half a month ago too. I don't mean real serious speed work though. I have been running for 3 years and have done 3 halfs, a few 10ks and several 5K's. I thought I could at least pick up the pace of maybe 1 shorter run per week?? :shrug:

You'll definitely notice a difference if you do speedwork outside sa opposed to on the tread. Start small - on your regular runs, throw in an occasional two or three minute spot where you throw it in higher gear.
You may also want to think of going to the track and doing some 400m sprints (four to six for starters) once a week. But maybe do that after you get the first thing as part of your regular run.

See, this is hard for me to help on because I actually like doing my runs fast..I figure im going to run, I might as well do it fast, and anyway i like the extra endorphins and the breeze.
Anyway, I'm not really clear on what you're doing right now. Are you doing every single run at a comfortable/easy pace? Every 2 or 3 days just run at a moderately hard pace - like a tempo run. If you really wanted to start doing some speedwork I think you should do what Gre said.

although I train for long distances, I start out my training season with speedwork after weeks of building a base. After a marathon: rest, base (work on getting the mileage back up), true speedwork (I like to do this on the 'mill where turnover is forced), interval work, then long runs/tempo combo.

To be honest, until your mileage is up to 40 mpw for a half, I'd just concentrate on the mileage with striders at the tail end of a few runs per week. But coming from a 5k background, I'd never have attempted a "good" half marathon on less than 30 miles a week. Less than 40 miles and it's ALL about more miles, more miles, more miles for constant improvement. That's just my opinion and it's coming from someone that did/does not do speedwork until her mileage is 60+ and had improved at every distance in the years of getting up to 80 mpw. I'll admit at that point speedwork was a must and it had to be done. :|

OK, some good sound advice. What exactly are striders?

Striders = Strides.
You just run for anywhere from 50-100 meters at a fast, not sprinting pace though, while concentrating on making your form perfect. You only go as fast as you can hold the form perfectly.

OK, thanks.

not sure if i'm following this, so you can't do speedwork on the treadmill anymore cuz you don't trust its calibration?

No, no. I've never done speedwork any where cuz I just never though I could really get any faster nor did I want to. The treadmill had me running faster than I thought I was or could. Kinda got me wanting to push myself a bit more in the speed area. I just want some simple ideas and can do it on the mill, track or road. I'm never gonna be really fast.

ok, so when you are doing a three miler on the treadmill, what is the average pace, what feels comfortable to you and then, how far have you pushed thru this "comfortable pace"....what pace might feel like you are pushing it?
comfort pace=?
pushing pace = ?
i just feel like if ya wanna run 9:30s ya gotta run 9:30s.
i picked a target pace, slightly faster than my average 5K pace, and ran fartleks at that pace on the treadmill, gradually increasing the distance i stayed at that pace until i'd get a tempo run (15 to 20 minutes inside your short run) at my target pace.
once that "target pace" feels easier, i'd make it a wee bit faster and start again with the fartlek stuff.
i know, it's not rocket science, it's rolling rock blither but it worked for me. i have had a very regular weekly base of 26 - 30 for a few years.

Yeah, I know. I kinda wanted to get some different ideas and see what has worked for others here. I don't wanna be really serious and like follow a program or something. Thanks. :D

I did weekly speedwork geared more towards improving my 5k time on 25-30 miles a week. If that's all the mileage you plan on putting in on a weekly basis then go ahead and start throwing a weekly speed workout in there. It probably won't help your half marathon time noticably but it will teach you a helluva lot about what it takes to run faster. And the benefit of it is that you may find out that faster 5k times are just over the horizon and you'll suddenly be more interested in competing in them.

Forget about the speed work 'JACKED'. Honestly your just not up to it at this stage of your training.
I go along 100% with 'runaround', increase your mileage GRADUALLY till your around the 40 mile per week mark.
Once your body absorbs regular 35 to 40 miles per weeks and you are running them comfortably then you can move into some 'work speed', whatever your definetion of speed work is.
In the mean time, how much of your present day to day training effort is at 70 to 100% maximum steady state?
I'm sure if you pick your miles up and put in at least 4/5 days at 70-100% Max.steady state your pace will pick up without any anaerobic work.

PS. Don't equate running on treadmills, distance,speed etc. with running outside, it's a different running action and it's just not the same.