I'm training for Columbus and it's my first. I'm doing an 18 week program that has every other weekend as the long run weekend. For a while I felt like I couldn't get past 12 miles. So last weekend I SQUEEZED out 14 miles, with lots of walking toward the end and much pain through my entire legs.
This week I've ran 3 on Tues, 7 Thrus, and I'm supposed to do another 4, then a 10 mile weekend run. Previous weeks I have averaged about 20 miles because I've been missing at least one day of training each week.

I don't seem to be doing very well, unless this is just how marathon training goes. I am supposed to do 16 next weekend and can't imagine completing it if I BARELY squeezed out 14. But of course, when i did 9 for the first time, that was pretty painful too.

Soooo, any thoughts from this bit of info I have provided? Do I have a fighting chance? Any suggestions?

Also, I've added lifting into my routine. I've noticed how badly I start to slump at the end of those long runs and know it will make me feel better.

thanks!
s

4 day a week training plan, is that what you've got there? If that's the case, it really is a "get you to the finish" program. And those long runs likely won't get a whole lot better. Largely you're training yourself to "gut it out" and when 26.2 mile day comes around, those long runs will have set your mind in the right mode to getting through the distance.

On my own trial and error, I've concluded that pushing the weekly long run beyond 30% of your weekly mileage is where a controlled run turns into a gutting it out run. And if you're talking about a 16-miler next week, that's likely 50% of the weekly mileage.

So, do you have a fighting chance? Of course. Come raceday, there won't be the feeling like taking on a 10k. It will definitely be a gutting it out experience. You can probably guess, I'd like to see a more robust schedule giving you a chance to minimize the miles beyond the wall, but if you're mentally ready, it'll be tough, but you'll get that finishers medal.

:1:
What was your weekly mileage before starting the program? Most want 20-25 mpw for 6 months before beginning a program.

My program isn't a 4-day one, but it is a conglomeration of ones I've read in magazines, books, and online. I try to run 5 days a week, it's only been less here and there because I take a day off when i feel like I should (which is what I think I've been doing wrong- overestimating how much rest I need). I think I've actually made myself get weaker by taking too many rest days. But I don't want to over-do it either. Therein lies the challenge I guess. I'm definately just trying to finish it, since it's my first, but I was hoping to do it slowly and comfortably as possible for a marathon.
Before the marathon I averaged 15 miles a week and I've been running consistently for about a year and half. I'm not including any speedwork or hill workouts in the training, so from what I read, 15 mpw was fine. I definately think that if I had been running 20 consistently I'd be a bit better off now.

Try to be more consistent with those 5 days, especially on those days when you get the feeling of "I just don't want to run".