i am stuck - at the same time 26.30 to 27.00 for my 5Ks. so predictable. so BOOORRRRRRRRRRING.

should i dare run intervals at a track?? does everyone run intervals regularly? i guess i just expect it to happen and, apparently, it aint.

i'd love to see some progress, that's all. throw your :twocents: in. maybe i'm just maxxed out and it's all down hill from here??

intervals are extremely good
try them for several weeks prior to your next 5k
i bet you will see an improvement
if you want to pm me i will give you some workouts i like

I don't run intervals, but I do Fartleks and tempo runs for speed work. Someday when I'm sure I won't injure something doing intervals, I'll give them a try.

A concept I've been working with one my 'Newbie Adoptees' (thanks again Coach), is the idea of a weekly "Quality" workout. Instead of calling it the dreaded speedwork or something else that conjures up images of endless laps at the track, think of it as one run a week were you go out and really bust some rust. Like PH mentions, maybe something like fartlek or a tempo run. If you want to run those 5kms at a 8:00/mile pace, then on your "quality" run of the week, pound out an 8:00 mile. Work up to two with a rest between. And then add another to have three. Maybe your quality run is a very hilly loop or a trail run that leaves you breathless. Reps at the track don't need to be the end all to get faster. IMHO, when one day of the week becomes your quality day and you really hit it hard week in and week out, you'll breakthrough to the next racing level

i like the one "bust the rust" day per week. i can now run one sub 8 mile but i usually do that one when i am ready to quit for the day.

i think i need a "program" to follow. once a week mommas sounds like a plan. i can't stick with fartleks. now that school's back in i should have more alone time to train.

do you think i can make any progress in two months if i try the jrjo plan?

i wanna breakthrough. i am so yawned-out with my 5Ks--on the other hand, don't want to injure myself.

I personally HATE speedwork! I prefer to do hill repeats and tempo runs with some fartlek thrown in.
I like jrjo's ideas about one "quality" run per week.
Start mixing some stuff into your running and who knows, maybe you'll bring home some more hardware!

you will see results if you follow jrjo's plan. And it probably won't take two months.

Any type of speedwork will help, anything that makes you push the tempo faster than you normally do; whether it's hills, fartleks, tempo runs; pace runs; intervals at the track; any and all will help you gain speed.

Another thing that can/will help is to increase your aerobic capacity. That means to increase your mileage, particularly your long run. Don't get stuck in a rut.

I ran my fastest 10K ever with no speedwork, simply because I was doing some marathon training, and my long run was up to 16 miles, and I smoked it. I just never got tired.