What percentage people that are running ~3:00 marathons are doing it on 60 MPW or less?

How hard would it be for your average 32 year old who does lots of other cross training to pull that off?

Just daydreaming a little. ;)

I know quite a few that do and unfornuately I know a few that don't (hubby, for one). The problem with hubby is just because you can bike hundreds of miles a week and swim lots....you can't jump into a long run program. He gets injured everytime because his cardio is fit and muscle fit....but joints or whatever....I dunno.

Purple--I definitely think you can do on 60 MPW without a problem and keep up on your cross-training/triathlon training. You definitely have to approach each run with a purpose. Two key runs a week that have to be maintained is LT and the long run. I also see that it will be tricky making sure you get your easy days in. You can't follow a long run with a brick for example. I do think there will be a "phase" that you really have to let the cross-training go. Say you have 22 weeks to marathon. 4 weeks are base getting some mileage, hill work.....x-training definitely can be done. The next four weeks you start adding tempo. Lactate/threshold..maybe some speedwork......can still x-train.....just tricker. The next 4 weeks --3rd phase is longer intervals--less rest in-between and adding marathon paced runs---I can't imagine cross-training possibilites besides Aquajogging/eliptical.

sue

I've ran 2:45 and 2:51 in the past 5 months and have averaged 40-45 miles per week.