If a person can only run a few minutes at a time now is it possible for that individual to do a TRI in 5 months?

*This is not taking into account individual motivators which cause some to strive harder and push harder than your average bear.

A sprint distance, yes. Anything longer would probably be pushing it.

/good luck

Yes. I was talking with a women at the 1/2 IM aid station. She planned on walking the whole half marathon. She made the cut off by 2 minutes. 7:58 total time. Obviously, the short the race the better off you will be.

I met this individual recently. This person looks like they have guts and determination.

But it scared me for them. It scared me a lot. Given the lack of stamina they currently have.

Well, if it's a sprint, you're only doing a 5k. The distances are easy (until you're doing Half-IM and IM, of course).
It's doing them back-to-back that's the hard part. If you can stumble out of the water, then you can get on the bike and ride & recover. The trick is training your legs to go from bike-mode to run-mode.

Lots of people treat triathlons as swim/bike/walk. I wouldn't worry about it.