So how does one go about training for an Ironman? Are our RF Ironmen coached or self-coached? What's the lo-down?

Ride lots, run lots, swim enough to be able to go 2.4 miles.

you really did sign up for IMLP '06, didn't you? 8O

First step: Go get your head examined.

I am a coach, but I have a coach for IM training.

Sheldon

Do it now before you have kids.

I'm kind of sort of maybe possibly thinking about potentially planning my midlife crisis for when I'm 40.
Ironman: Lake Placid 2019.

First you have to learn how to swim. This is a huge obstacle for me since I'm afraid of pool water over my head. Oh and it would take me 8 hours to run a marathon if I didn't die after the half.

A good iron is the key to be a good iron man

That is actually why I'm thinking 14 years out. Right now I know I don't have the time or money anyway, but I do have to learn how to seriously swim. I can splash around enough to not die in the first few seconds and can sort of swim a little bit, but nothing that would give me any sort of confidence to, say, go swim to that raft. The bike, while I don't own a bike either or ride, I see as less of an issue (not to dismiss the challenge involved in training for the bike, but I think it would be easier for me than the swim).

Find a race you can do in a wetsuit. All you need to do is flap your arms for 1:15 and you're done. Don't worry about form, worry about someone kicking you in the chin.

I need to go to some stroke classes and/or that total immersion stuff before I could think about any tri. I'm no joke 35 lbs up and probably a couple inches taller (and 11 years since) my last swim meet. You forget things

:duh:

A coach is a huge help. I have an online coach and she has a coach. She just turned Pro this year after winning IM Age Group National Champion in Lake Placid in 2003.

It is best to build up through the distances. Nothing beats experience.

I would think the bike is the easiest part.