Does anyone know if there is a chart that shows a comparison between biking speed and running speed? For example, if I'm biking at 20 MPH for a set amount of miles what speed should I be able to equivenlently run at for the same set amount of miles?

The ratio for bike mileage to running mileage is 4:1. For every four miles of riding, it equals one mile of running. Not sure if that equals out on actual speed though

as far as ratios for distance goes, i always go with the 3:1. i'm a better conditioned runner than biker and the effort is that great for biking still for me...at least it seems to be. if my muscles were better balanced, i think i'd use the other ratio, but at this point the 3:1 seems like a better ratio for me. :)

I've never seen a chart like that. I think it would be too hard to factor in the hills. Hills on a bike, to me, are much different than hills on foot.

I'll post my numbers and maybe if enough of us do it, you'll be able to get an idea of what you're looking for.

My best 5K time = 19:43 (6:30 pace)
In the few tri/duathlons I've done, I've been able to avg. about 20.? MPH. The exception was one really hilly course and I think I avgd. +/-17 MPH.

On training rides, my speed drops more because I have to stop for traffic. I'd consider my cycling and running to be pretty evenly matched too.

As much as I'm a caveman when it comes to gizmos, I'd say a HRM would be the best way to guage it on an individual basis. You got a Santa list?

If you could have a direct corelation, we probably would have seen it. It can very by efficiency in each sport and wind is more critical in cycling since you are going faster.

For homework, get some race results and let us know what you find out.

See, I don't think there is much of a correlation. I've never been anywhere NEAR PH's 6:30 pace running (maybe twice that at times ) but I can hold pretty near PH's 18-20 mph on the bike for distances without much problem.

However, I will say my best 5K in recent years was the weekend before the MS 150, aka, peak cycling season for me, so maybe there is. I don't know? :shrug:

well, due to a lot of injury, i haven't raced much this year...
my last race was a 5 miler at an 8 minute pace. back in feb, i did the same pace for a 5K. 1/2 marathon, i'm just around 9 minute pace. the 5K and half marathon were months ago, though, when i wasn't biking or doing speedwork. i think i'd have to agree with cheryl...maybe there isn't much of a correlation....maybe it's just overall conditioning.
:shrug: not sure.
Shelly

I think biking is a little bit different than running though. What I mean is you can pedal for a few seconds, and just coast for a while. There is no way of doing that when you're running.

What about wearing a pulse meter and just make sure that your heart work as hard during your runs as during your bike rides.
It's a lot about the bike also. Are you going by MTB, road bike or a time trial bike. It differs a lot.
Best!
Lars

It is dificult to measure as they are two entirely dofferent sports that use different muscles and need different kids of fitness. A heart rate monitor would be the way forward.

.......................
Garmin 410 GPS Watch Review

I believe bicycling is actually a bit diverse from operating although. The reason is actually you are able to your pedal for some mere seconds, and coastline for some time. There isn't any method of performing that after you are operating.

There are few damage and loss is devastating that can occur more heinous and hard to deal in order to provide the most comprehensive support.

Insurance Claim Adjuster

If I can run at a maxium average of 10 km ph maximum over say 2k (12 mins) and can bike nearly 8k in 20 mins and my light running speed is around 8.2km/h to 9 km/h what speed should I cycle at roughly in order to get the same workout on a bike in 40 mins as I would running in the range 8.2-9km/h for 40 mins?
18 km/h was too easy in 40 mins, 23.2 km/h too hard.
Does biking improve the legs more than running and make you faster at running?

hello, I think biking is a little bit different than running though