I really don't feel like spending more than 1 day/week each on swimming & biking. While I'm doing it I always wish I was working on running & strength instead. My first sprint Tri is in July. I can swim up to 1200 yards at a time right now, but I'm finding that actually *training* on a bike is harder than tooling around town to get places.

Anyway this all got me to thinking about people who just sign up for races on a whim with hardly any training, triathlons or otherwise. Got any stories about that?

I did a sprint tri last year with no time spent swimming. It was bad. I'm not a strong swimmer anyway. Well, I came out of the water in 256 out of 265 participants.

My bike and run were awesome. I just needed to bring my swim up to par. The worst part was when a female friend that started in the third wave (I was in the first) passed me in the swim!

Passed you? Oh dear! I can imagine the swim being the hardest if you've never really done it before!

If you're a decent swimmer and it's a short distance, I'd say go for it. Cycling and distance isn't that hard and on the run, you can always walk (you can walk on the bike part too, but it's kinda slow). But with swimming, you gotta swim.

Good point! I never really thought of it that way.

I'm about to do what you're doing. It's a 500m or 525m swim depending on which I do. One is June 20, the other is July 18. I will be doing at least one, maybe both, and I haven't set foot in a pool yet. I've never swam aside from as a kid, or just horsing around in a pool. I figure as long as I don't drown, I'll make up for it in the biking and running, and it will still be a worthwhile experience. I do plan on swimming probably 2-3 times a week until the tris though.

If you do this I bet you'll do pretty well. 500m really isn't too far, the discipline to get to the pool seems to be the harder part for me...thus I've never even thought about a tri
Good luck Ninecherries!

I've heard that the majority of newbies to Tri have never really swam before. So yeah I guess I have that advantage. Good luck to you!

Thanks a bunch!
Good luck Ninecherries!

Good luck Ninecherries!
It's all about perspective Cheryl.... to me, running 10 miles really isn't too far.

Oh, totally hear you....and trust me, 25 meters in the pool for me right now is an entire workout. But, I also think given your fitness level and some dedication (2-3 times a week) that 500 will become a lot easier. I hope I'm right anyway!

I've done that and it's possible- the race will just hurt a lot more than if you'd put in more training time.