Hello, evidently I'm new here, but not new to running. I began the sport at 14, but presently, I'm out of shape due to a lack of any activity to speak of these past years (I'm 24).

My goal is to finish a Half-Marathon (the Phila. Distance Run), but I can barely complete a mile right now. I have roughly 4 months to make significant progress with my mileage. Is it even possible to make such progress and be ready for the Half-Marathon?

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

You can definitely do that! If you just keep building up your mileage and have a long run every week you'll be fine. IF yo uthink about it, you only need to be able to run 12 more miles. That may seem like a lot, but endurance is much easier to get than speed. The bes tthing for you to do is just run a mile every day for a couple days. Then, try running 2 miles. Keep doing that for a couple days. Then try running 3 miles. etc.

Of course you may not come out with the best time but you should definitely be able to do it.

Train with me. Im not much further along than you. I can run about two or three and am doing a half in October.

You'll be fine. Just keep plugging away at the training!

It's possible but I SUGGEST YOU DON'T.
You training program is OK, but you should be starting your races at the begining. Why not use that program then start in and run a series of 3km. 5km. races, as you gain experience you can slowly start stepping up your distances, 8km/5mile 10km/6.2mile etc.

A half marathon is a worthy goal but you say you have been inactive, your out of shape and struggle to make a mile. Races, just like training should be steady progression.
There will be another half marathon next year, I take it that you want to run the half and not just endure it. With a consistant steady build up and some shorter races thrown in for good measure you'll make a better fist of it.

:1:
I agree with Phar. It's possible to finish, but if you're struggling to complete a mile now you might not enjoy your experiences. I would work towards smaller goals and keep the half marathon as the bigger goal in the future that you're working to.

Wow, thanks for the replies. I'll still keep up the training and hope to be ready, but won't be devastated if I'm not able to run it.

I'll look for smaller races until then, but part of me still wants to try for the half-marathon...we'll see, I guess. Thanks again for your advice.

I agree with postponing that goal for now. Try smaller races like 5 or 10K, and work your way up. That way, you have nice milestones and you win the whole way. :)

~Astara~

To build up your tolerance, start with a half marathon race walk. You'll never want to run again anyway after you feel the endorphines kicking in.

A half-marathon race walk, huh? lol.

A half-marathon race walk, huh? lol.
yeah, :LOL: i'm with Phar on this sara. start with smaller goals. nothing motivates me like having a competitive goal "out there" but it has to be well within my physical capabilities or it backfires physically and emotionally... slow and steady progression. :twocents:

I don't have anything to add that people haven't already covered but the first year I began running I decided I was going to run a half in the fall. I ended up getting hurt and quitting running altogether for over a year. My injury was completely due to pushing myself beyond what I was ready for just because I was on a timeline. At 24, you've got lots of time to work up to the half.
Congratulations on taking the plunge and becoming a runner! :thumbsup:

I'm going to play devils advocate and say that Sara "can" finish a half-marathon without much of a problem, but I wouldn't recommend "racing" it.

Sara, without a doubt will need to increase your mileage. What problems are you having that you're not able to run more than one mile at a time? Just out of breath? Shin splints? It's going to have to be your own motivation that gets you out the door.

I think most of us agree here that she probably can physically finish the half. Most just think that she shouldn't try for it right now and should build up to it. We want her to have a good experience with the half and also to not boost her miles too quickly and hopefully not get injured.

Sara, its all about your intuition and how far you can push yourself. Of course you can finish the half marathon, if you can run it than go ahead but if you need to walk some of it, theres no problem in doing that. I say just keep on working up your mileage, record it on the log at the forum and try to make atleast 100 miles before you run the 13. Take the advice of the others and look for smaller races. Just dont give up your goal.