You guys have prolly heard me talking lately of really wanting to do a tri in the future. My running and cycling are coming along nicely and I need to start focusing on swimming. I am not a swimmer, never took lessons as a kid. :| I love the water and water sports and float like a bubble. I can tread water forever, do half assed side, breast and back stroke. I can do a regular stroke but not the breathing, always keeping my face outta the water. :? My endurance is great as well as my upper body and core strength. So why am I afraid to do this??? :h:

I will join the Y when it's colder but I have a friend who has a pond and this weekend I am going out there and starting to teach myself to swim. One of my employees teaches lessons and spent some time with me yesterday just telling me what to do and work on so I am kinda excited/encouraged.

Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

Take some lessons or join a Masters club. I'm a total advocate for masters clubs -- I've progressed an amazing amount over the last year. A coach can help you with technique and drills that will identify poor form and enhance good form.

Well worth the time and money.

a masters club would be great. i'd love to join our Ys but i believe there's a "competition" thing involved. i'm not doing swim meets. :umno: i mean, just the thought of it is :LOL:

you're brave for diving into a pond but probably better off in the long run if you're seriously considering open water tris....

my best advice = stay relaxed. if you're not feeling it, get out of the water. your upper body strength will go a long ways in helping you out here. i've never appreciated my shoulder and the workings of said shoulder until i started swimming again as an old fart.

buy a suit that fits. don't buy one that's too short waisted, it really impedes your stroke in the water :x

good luck JU!

I would really recommend going somewhere where there are people if you are not an accomplished swimmer. Also a pool where you can stand up if need be. The pond may be ok once you are a little more seasoned but to go and swim around while still developing your stroke I wouldn't recommend it.

This is after I sucked in about half a pool full my first time out. :twocents:

Try a couple of brick workouts, to see how you do with the transitions.

Bike>Run, or Run>Bike

I have done a couple in my life and they were pretty interesting workouts

get scuba gear :P