Ok I have to admit this. I do not know how to run a 5K race on a race day. I embarked on a program a while back and it had a 6 wk course of runs and fartlek etc..... But how do you run the race? Do you incorporate any of your speed workouts into the race or do you just hit the 'easy' running pace and finsh the 5K. Couple of times, I started running fast and I ended up hurting in the end. But if I run slow, my time sucks.

Is it because that running is catatonic, that you should eventually start doing better and better times at the 'easy' running pace?.

-D

I run it at a pace that I don't have to push myself to maintain, but right at the boarderline of that. Well I run a bit faster at the start, and at the end I pick up the pace and eventually go into a sprint. Mind you I'm still a beginner, but this is what works for me.

I try to run all races as hard as possible. The 5k though is one where I tend to run much harder in the begining to get a good pace, my 2nd miles have always been my worse one with my thirds generally being my 2nd fastest of the three miles.

Usually I try to keep them within a 30 second pace.

Basically hard first, back off second, push third.

I've always started out too hard and have had to walk in the middle to catch my breath and pick it up again (too fast) for the last half mile. I don't recommend that.

My strategy for my next race will be start at the very back of the pack and walk to the start. Start out running slow and try not to get caught up in the excitement and run at my neighbors pace which is no doubt quite a bit faster than mine. My main goal is to stay ahead of most of the walkers, not come in last, run more than I had in the last race, and shave off some time from my last race.

Racing at an "easy" pace is fine to start with, but once you have more experience races won't be anywhere close to easy. I've done probably close to 100 5K's and they are now a pretty short race for me. I race them as go out fast but not completely out of control. Then the 2nd mile is where I push, since I know I can fake my way through the last mile no matter how hard I ran up to that point. I just try to hold my form together and maintain pace the best I can the last mile.

Something like a 1/2 or full marathon is very tough because of the distance and sustained effort. A 5K hurts in a totally different way. It is over fast, but the intensity is much higher.