Good day guys. I am extremely worried for my dad. He is older man, he is 65 years old. As far as I know he was never sick before.

He lives at the village and he eats all those healthy foods. Yesterday he came to visit our doctor, just to do some test like he always do. Doctor told him that he has elevated homosystine levels.

I am pretty sure that I was reading that those levels means that you are at risk of heart attack, stroke or even blood clots. Is this true?

Help me, I don’t know what to do.

Good day.

Homocysteine is an amino acid and amino acids are, as we already know, the building blocks of proteins. When some proteins break down, elevated levels of amino acids may be found in person’s bloodstream. Well, having elevated levels of homocysteine in the blood is associated with blood clots as well.

If homocysteine cannot be converted into cysteine or returned to the methionine form than levels of homocysteine in the blood usually increase. Elevated homocysteine levels have been associated with heart attack, stroke, blood clots formation, etc.

So, I need to tell you that this is true. Have a nice day. 

Hey. Well I am sure that doctors are not so sure how or even if homocysteine increases the risk of heart and blood vessels disease. I think that we can just discuss about it but there isn't any concrete proof (at least I think so).  

But it really seems to be a link between high homocysteine levels and damage to the arteries that can lead to the atherosclerosis and the formation of blood clots.

I am not sure is there any way to prevent it but it is reasonable for a high – risk patients with high homocysteine levels to increase their intake of vitamins B.

Good day. I am afraid that this is true.

For ages homocysteine has been correlated with the occurrence of blood clots, strokes, heart attacks and it is a huge risk factor as well. It is also known that this is associated with early pregnancy loss and with neural tube effects. As you can see, elevated homocysteine levels are associated with so many different things and it is dangerous. Blood levels of this tend to be highest in people who eat a lot of animal protein so you should consider this as well.

Good luck. I really hope that this is helpful.

Yes, it does. And so far there is no treatment when homocysteine is elevated, apart from efforts to lower your levels by increasing your intake of vitamin B by eating more green leaf vegetables, more fruits and more grain – based foods with folic acid.

Well, I know that some studies determined that lowering homocysteine levels can reduce the risk of heart disease and so far this haven’t show any benefits at all.

When I am reading about it I can tell that it is very hard to explain this to someone. Sometimes I don’t even understand it.

All that I do know is that it means that you are at risk of heart attack.

Hey folks. This is 100 percent true because I have experience with it. Unfortunately, I was dealing with elevated homocysteine levels for a while and I just knew that I am going to have a huge risk of heart attack, stroke or whatever else that can be fatal for me. You can guess only once did I had heart attack during this situation? Yes, I did and I really don't know how I am still alive because that heart attack was really strong. If you control it there is a chance for doctors to save your life
It is dangerous but you can control it.
Good luck.