Greetings guys. I hope that you are doing fine. I was today with my twin sister. I think that heart diseases runs in my family. My dad had them and he died because of a heart attack. Now, my sister told me that she went to see her doctor and he told her that she has cardiac syndrome X. According to her words, that is just one more type of angina. Is this true? Is cardiac syndrome X really a type of angina? 

How she can treat it if it is? Please, let me know what do you know about this...

Thank you. 

Good day there Couch Potato.

I am really sorry to hear this.

But I am afraid that I need to tell you that this is correct. Cardiac syndrome X is a type of angina. People with CSX have chest pain and they can notice some changes on the heart tracing on ECG, during the test. But this is common type of angina and it can be confirmed by a simple angiogram. In CSX the angiogram is usually normal. I know that there is no agreed definition for this issue so I can’t tell you a lot about it.

Enjoy your day. 

Hello everyone. Cardiac syndrome is typical angina chest pain, with evidence of myocardial ischemia in the absence of flow – limiting stenosis on coronary angiography. My doctor just send me a text message and wrote this because I was not sure as well. Cardiac syndrome X is a heterogeneous entity and it is involving various pathogenic mechanisms.

Anyway, I believe that this is the easiest way or shape of angina and it can be treated without a lot of trouble.

So I really think that there are not so many complications when it comes to this angina. Surely, it needs to be controlled.

Hello there. Well maybe you believe that this cardiac syndrome X is not that dangerous or that this syndrome is not that "painful" type of angina, but I don't think so. I can see that she is in pain and because of those symptoms that that she has I am scared that she has a big chances to have a heart attack. Of course that she will treat and and that she will keep this syndrome under the control, but still we don't know how and what way is the best to do it. 

So if you have any advice it would be nice to tell me..

Hey Couch Potato,

It is true that cardiac syndrome X is a type of angina, people with this condition have anginalike chest pain. It differs from normal angina in the fact that CSX can't really be noticed by doing an angiogram, which is usually used to diagnose other types of angina.

This type of angina is actually pretty hard to treat, the treatments mostly focus on reducing the risk factors (especially regular exercise). Several medications can be useful when it comes to treating this and these are different beta blockers, ACE inhibitors, ranolazine and statins. If she is smoking, she needs to stop, it will help her.

Hello everyone,

Like others told you already, this is just another type of angina.

Your sister needs to help herself by stopping smoking (if she is a smoker), she needs to have her blood pressure checked at least once a year, if she is overweight, losing some weight is also advised. Losing weight will reduce the amount of workload on her heart and it will also help to lower her blood pressure. If she happens to get high cholesterol, she will need to treat it immediately with statins. She needs to exercise on a daily basis for at least 30 minutes and she should be on a healthy diet.

Hey Coach Potato,

This is indeed just a type of angina, although it is a bit more dangerous than other types of angina and it is a bit harder to treat as well.

She should also stop drinking alcohol if she is drinking it, although 1-2 units per day would actually benefit her heart.

Cardiac syndrome symptoms may improve over time. Unfortunately, in about 1 out of 5 people, their symptoms become worse. The pain can become difficult to relieve and this affects the quality of life for people with cardiac syndrome x. I'm really sorry about your sister and I'm hoping that she will find the strength to fight this.

Hello everyone. Yes, it is actually a type of angina and I believe that it is a little bit dangerous, at least it is more dangerous than any other types of angina. Actually, this is angina with signs that are associated with decreased blood flow to heart tissue but with totally normal coronary arteries. So, cardiac syndrome X is sometimes referred to as micro vascular angina when there are findings of micro vascular dysfunction. Well some studies have found increased risk of other vasospastic disorder in CS X patients such as migraine or something else and it is usually treated with beta blockers.