Hey there. I am Jannet and I am 45 years old. When my husband died I got diabetes. That was almost 7 years ago. I was reading a lot about it and I find one information that scared me a lot. I found out that people who are dealing with diabetes are in the risk group of having stroke or some other heart problems. Somehow I was aware that people with diabetes can have huge health problems, but since I am getting older I want to prevent that if I can. So, can you tell me is there any way to prevent stroke and heart problems if you are having diabetes? 

Good day there.

Yes, you are in that so – called risk group. The most influential risk factor for cardiovascular disease is age just like you already know – the older you are, the greater your risk. The second is your genetic make-up. If you are dealing with diabetes it is very important to find the best possible diet program for you. Remember that FAD diets don’t work, so avoid them. It is the best option to consult some good nutritionist who can help you in this. He will tell you what exactly you can eat and what you should avoid. That is the best option. Good luck.

Hey Janet,

I have kind of a different opinion about this matter than most of other people do.

I don't think that you are in more danger of having a stroke than people who don't have diabetes. Here's the thing. When you have a stroke, one of the many blood vessels that supply your brain with oxygen becomes damaged or blocked. Now, when this happens, other arteries can usually serve as a bypass. However, if you have diabetes, those vessels may be clogged with plaque, a condition that is known as atherosclerosis. This makes it harder for the blood to get to your brain.

Hi everyone,

You are right about what you said, Health n joy, but I don't agree about one thing that you said: about people with diabetes being prone to stroke just like the people who don't have diabetes.

It is known that bad cholesterol and high blood pressure are the main causes of strokes, with smoking cigarettes being one of the common causes, as well. Now, diabetics are known to have a high bad cholesterol level, which immediately makes them more prone to getting a stroke. Not just a stroke, because of their condition, they are more prone to having heart problems.

Hi everyone,

Jannet, the first steps towards preventing a stroke, whether you are more prone to it than other people or not, are to exercise regularly and to eat healthy. Limiting your stress and maintaining a normal blood pressure are also very important. There are also some medications that are used for this matter but you would have to talk to your doctor about this because I'm not sure if they are prescribed to diabetics as well.

You already understood from the answers above me that you should stop using cigarettes if you are, and to addition to that, you should avoid drinking alcohol.

Hey there. Thank you so much. I haven't expect so many answers in that short time. There is one more problem and I didn't mentioned this to you.Well, I am a passionate smoker and I some...well a lot cigarettes per day. When he died I started to consume cigarettes a lot and I know that this is not helpful at all. But I can't help myself. Whenever I think that I am going to stop, that I need to stop smoking, I just can't. It helps me to get rid of the stress. I believe that this is also a huge problem for me. Right?

Definitely you need to try to find a good diet program. An unhealthy diet can increase your chances of having a stroke because it may lead to an increase in your blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Especially in your case, when you are dealing with diabetes. A low-fat or high-fiber diet is usually recommended. Beside, you always need to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables as well. You need to find good balance in your diet program, because that is very important as well. Avoid foods that are high in salt and processed foods as well.

Good luck there! 

Hello there. I think that I answered on some topic already about this. You need to know that diabetes is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Also you need to be aware that type 2 diabetes is a major risk factor for coronary heart disease and stroke. Do you have diabetes? No? Ok, do anything for prevent getting it. You have diabetes? Yes? Well, you need to find the best way to control it. If you don’t control it, you can develop diabetes in early ages.
Answer on your question – you need to eat healthy and to maintain a normal body weight.