Hi! My friend have son is three years old. Fife days ago he get high fever, his eyes are red, and he has other symptoms. Doctor diagnosed Kawasaki Disease. I never before heard for this disease. I also have kid same age as his son. Please tell me basic information about this disease. Thank you.

Hi! Kawasaki Disease is an illness that involves the skin, mouth, and lymph nodes, and typically affects children who are under the age of 5. The cause of Kawasaki Disease is unknown. If it goes untreated, it can lead to serious complications that can involve the heart. The symptoms of Kawasaki Disease typically appear in phases. The first phase, which can last for up to 2 weeks, usually involves a persistent fever that is higher than 104 degrees Fahrenheit (39 degrees Celsius), and lasts for at least 5 days. During the second phase of the illness, which usually begins within two weeks of when the fever first begins, the skin on the child's hands and feet may begin to peel in large pieces. Treatment should begin as soon as possible, ideally within 10 days of when the fever first begins. Usually, a child is treated with intravenous doses of gamma globulin (purified antibodies), an ingredient of blood that helps the child's body fight off infection. I hope that child of your friend will be better.