I’ve been under a lot of emotional stress lately and this reflected mostly on my sleep patterns. So far I’ve tried using melatonin supplement before bedtime, but I can’t say it’s working since I’m still awake almost until dawn. My physician recommended I try this first, before medications like lorazepam or Xanax, but I can’t go on like this anymore and I’ll just have to try some of these meds.

From your experiences, which one of these, Lorazepam or Xanax is more effective in treating insomnia? Or is there some third option that is more effective than either of these?

I've been using melatonin supplement as well and it seems like it's sometimes effective and sometimes not at all. Since the main symptom of my depression was insomnia, besides anti depressants, my doctor also prescribed me Klonopin to take before bedtime. It's definitely effectivective, but I am a bit worried knowing that it's habit forming.

But the same downside goes for Xanax and Lorazepam - they are physically addictive, but if you're out of other options for dealing with insomnia, just stick to the guidelines to minimize the risks.

Psychological dependence. The long term use of alprazolam and lorazepam both carry the same risk of developing physical and psychological dependence and withdrawal symptoms when you stop them.