My friend was recently diagnosed with lupus and he`s in a bad shape. His joints hurts, he suffers chest pain and sometimes there is fever. His immune system has lost the ability to differentiate between foreign substances and its own tissues. I would like to know is lupus a disability under the ADA?

Well, some people diagnosed with lupus have a disability under the ADA – the ADA has only a general definition of disability. But, a disability claim can be won by a claimant who has lupus. Many disabled persons can win a claim and have benefits – it is important only how a condition affects patients, that is claimants. So, this is more like question of disability of any kind, not just about lupus being a disability.

Hello there jenine,

First of all I am very sorry that your friend has been diagnosed with the lupus and I am aware of the fact how hard it can be to manage that great amount of pain which he is experiencing every day in his joints and the rest of his body. This inflammatory condition can really cause so many troubles and uncomfortable situations and sometimes it can even be fatal.

Considering your question about disability I am really not sure what the correct answer is and especially if there is any difference in different states so it would be wise to check this out if you think that your friend isn’t able to do the most of the things on his own.