Hello! Is Pick’s disease the same as Alzheimer's disease? Thank you for the info

Actually no although they are often confused. They belong to the same group of disorders called dementia. Pick’s disease is quite rare but also progressive illness, more common in women than in men. There is a loss of brain tissue in decrete areas that causes deterioration in mental function. Abnormalities occur in brain cells (pick's bodies). This disorder is also known as "fronto-temporal dementia", because it causes atrophy of the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain. A person will inevitably experience personality and behaviour changes, speech and attention difficulties. Length of progression varies from less than two years in some to more than ten years in others.

Excellent reply Livvyy!!!

As mentioned Pick's disease is a form of dementia but it falls under FTD or fronto-temporal lobe dementia. If you would like further info I suggest checking out ftd-picks.org/?p=home.home

This site is supported by the Univ of PA. They have good info and also video excerpts from their conference on FTD. It is well worth viewing as it helped me very much. In fact I ordered the DVD to view everything for myself and have since given copies to my mothers doctors who were very interested too.