I have heard that mortality rate directly related to salpingitis has not been much high, but still I am worried. Most deaths result from rupture, with the mortality rate of rupture being 5-10% despite modern medical treatment. What was most importantly, I realized salpingitis results in long-term sequelae in 25% of patients. Could anyone give me some valuable info, why this could be serious condition.

The most common and serious consequences of salpingitis are tubal factor infertility and ectopic pregnancy. Other problems include chronic pelvic pain, dyspareunia, menstrual disturbances, and pelvic adhesions. These are most famous sequelae caused by salpingitis. Salpingitis causes many cases of infertility annually in the world. Infertility is thought to be the result of inflammatory damage to the oviduct, which is the main problem with salpingitis. It is estimated to occur in 8-17% of all women with one episode of disease, and the percentage increases dramatically with each repeated episode of salpingitis. Infertility rates approach 40-60% in women with three episodes of disease and salpingitis infection. The other major sequela of salpingitis is ectopic pregnancy, as I already told you. One episode of salpingitis increases the risk of ectopic pregnancy by 7- to 10-fold, which is seriously condition. The number of ectopic pregnancies has increased in increased number of cases of STDs and acute salpingitis. However, this may be misleading because physician awareness of ectopic pregnancy and its potential for mortality has increased.