My son was born with a protruding sternum. He has always had good health and is a very sporty person and so far at age 16yrs has had no medical condition arising from this. We were told that it was nothing to worry about and that when he was old enough to get him down the gym and build his chest muscules up. Recently he has become very insecure about the protrusion in his chest and tries to cover it up by wearing several layers of t shirts. We went to see our doctor over another matter and he just asked us lots of questions about my sons chest and asked about his general health. He frightened us both so much we haven't been able to go back to see him about it. We were totally unprepared for the amount of questions he asked us which seemed rather strange at the time. What should i do now. My son is in perfect health and takes part in lots of sport without any difficulty. Okay so he is tall and slim but he is in proportion and does not look that different to get noticed. He is hiding away now since going to the doctor and refuses to go back.

I should not worry about it at all, if I were you. I was born with a prominent breastbone - I went on to become a very competent swimmer, enjoying good breathing skills when swimming. Now, at the age of 65, I have a 46 inch chest, still swim regularly, and my breastbone tip sticks out a little more prominently, but who's afeard, I swim like a fish!!