Hello! Few months ago I had pericarditis caused by virus and my doctor told me that there are pretty good chances to get it again in the future. So, I want to know is there any way prevent pericarditis. If there is, I kindly ask you to tell me what I need to do to prevent it. I am thanking you in advance!

Hello! Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent pericarditis. But, regarding the fact that you had pericarditis caused by virus, I suggest you to live healthy lifestyle, because your immune system will be strong and ale to fight against microorganisms. This means that you need to eat healthy food and do some exercise.

Hi i have been in hospital 4 time and once in icu for pericarditis but i have had it a few times more and had bed rest at home, i eat good and i am only 23 but no one can seem to tell me why i keep getting it. even when i feel better a month or 2 after i get it i try exersiseing and going to gym but i get chest pain. I been told to take Colchicine twice a day to try prevent it but i dont think it seams to be working. i have been checked for heart deaise but i have been cleared of that. Also when i was in hospital the doctors and heart sepailest could not beleave how quick it became very bad but when it starts to get better they carnt belave how quick the fuild goes away and quick i recover. I can normaly tell 2 weeks in advace before i get it because i get extreamly tired all the time and get body pain everywhere and my chest doesnt feel right but when i go to see the doctors my ecg is normal, then when i get really bad pains where i can barly walk the ecg shows that hart rate is not normal and heart shows signs of fuild around it. about 2 years ago i was in a car crash and i came out fairl bad ( broken back face hand and i did have fair bit of chest bruseing and while in hospital my left lung got blocked) but since recoved from that i seem to always get pericarditis. i dont know where else to turn i have spent last 3 years in and out of hospital from crash now this.

Since wrighting this I still countiue to get it as I am currently now fighting it.

I also have had this a couple of times. Once while in the ER the doc asked if I had been tested for Lupus. I hadn't and was tested.it came back negative. However, if you aren't having a flare up (I guess that]s what you call it ) you won't test positive, I believe. Th at is something you might want to check out. You talk about the pain you have in your body and say it is hard to walk. I am experiencing terrible pain in my calves. It is driving me nuts. I don't know if you are even going to read this because it has been awhile since you last wrote on here. I appreciate what ever you can tell me. Thank you in advance

I first suffered from pericarditis a few years ago and ended up in the ICU for a while.  I'm now recovering from it again.  I too suffer the symptoms you discribed before it sets in completely.  My body hurts and I feel very, very tried.  I also get strange lesions on my hands and forearms from time to time and this usually happens before I get somekind of wierd illness (like pain in my gums etc.).  I believe that those of us that suffer from pericarditis are often mis-diagnosed.  I'm going through test at the moment to see if this is in fact Lupus.  It is very difficult to diagnose Lupus and it takes a while.  I would say to you, keep pushing forward.  This seems to be an autoimmune disease that can only really be diagnosed during flare-ups.  Like you I'm looking for answers that the doctors at the moment cannot give.    

I too have suffered from pericarditis and ended in the ICU. The doctors always end up scratching their heads because all the test show I have no blockage whatsoever. They finally diagnose me with pericarditis, but can't tell me why. You see, I believe pericarditis is a symptom of something else. Often those of us that suffer from this are mis-diagnosed. Like all of you, I've searched for answers and believe it is a symptom of an autoimmune disease, probably Lupus. Lupus is extremely difficult to diagnose. Until you get a diagnoses, they will tell you that it's just pericarditis and caused by a virus of some sort. It's rare to find a doctor that will put everything together into a big picture and go from there. Good luck to all of you and you are not alone.

I suffer from pericarditis as well. I tend to get it more often during winter months and flu season, so I don't discount the belief it is caused by a virus. Viruses like to attack weaker areas, so once you've had it you're more vulnerable every time a virus gets into your system. Don't take steroids or you will likely suffer worse in the future. High doses of aspirin or NSAIDs. Since it is inflammation that causes the fluids, pain and damage; try adopting a diet that avoids foods that cause inflammation, red meats etc. Also avoid salt while you have it and drink diuretics like tea, honey, apple cider vinegar and lots of water. I've suffered with it for 30 years, it's not a fun thing to manage. Good luck, I hope this helps ;-)

No exercising for 6 months after symptoms die down,stop smoking if you do and no stimulants ,supplement with COQ10,CARNITINE Taurine,drink beetroot juce with ginger,grapefruit tumeric and black pepper,this is helping me,avoid alcohol.

You need to avoid exercise with this condition.