Hello everyone. Long time no see. I am sorry I was not here because I had some family problems. I am trying to deal with them even now, after a couple of days. To cut long story short, my sister is getting divorced. She and her husband haven't had any fight but it looks like that he is sick and that he doesn't want her to be with him and to suffer along with him. He told her that doctors just checked him once and that they find out that he has constrictive pericarditis.  How can doctors diagnose Constrictive Pericarditis?

Hey there. I am really sorry to hear this, but this is not a reason for him to leave her right? They need to be together in the good and bad things. Forgive me, but I believe that this is just an excuses for something. There are a couple of ways how the doctor can diagnose it. If he is having symptoms such as:
- breathing difficulty that develops slowly and becomes worse
- fatigue
- swollen abdomen
- chronic, severe swelling in the legs and ankles
- weakness
- low-grade fever
- chest pain,

there is a chance that he is having this disease.

Good day there. I agree that this is pretty silly reason to divorce someone. But maybe she really doesn't need him around her after this. I understand that you are concerned for your sister, but you should not be that much. You just need to be a huge support for her. Anyway, about your question - well there is a possibility that his doctors recognized the symptoms and maybe he mentioned him that he could have the constrictive pericarditis. But I don't believe that without any tests or analysis he can be that sure. He needs to run some test. Good luck.

Good day there. You know what? I told her exactly the same thing but she wouldn't listen. I told her that this is maybe and excuse because he wants to get divorce since I have a lot for heart problems and I do know some main things in it and I also do know that this can be treatable with good treatment. I am not aware about any of those symptoms. He was feeling fine last time when I saw him. What tests he needs to do and how you can tell that he has it according to those tests? Thank you. 

Hey everyone.

We all do agree about it. But I don’t agree that doctor can’t recognize the disease according to the symptoms. It is very easy and if the doctor has experience it is easy to recognize it. Here are some symptoms that can be crucial in finding out the diagnose. the first and the main symptoms is chest pain symptoms associated with pericarditis can be described as very sharp and stabbing pain that can increase with coughing, swallowing, deep breathing or lying flat. Also, it can be relieved by sitting up and leaning forward. You also may feel the need to bend over or hold your chest to breathe more comfortably.

Hi everyone,

This is indeed one very hard condition to treat, Couch Potato. It is actually on the top of the list of hardest conditions for diagnosis.  It is hard to diagnose because the tests that might help show it have the same results as if this person has some other condition so it is quite common for doctors to missdiagnose someone with this condition.

However, like others have told you, the best way probably would be for you to tell all of your symptoms to your doctor. But pay attention, you need to be very precise if you want to get a right diagnosis.

Hey everyone,

Adria is right, it is very hard to diagnose and it happens that sometimes doctors can missdiagnose someone with this condition or with the other one, if the person has constrictive pericarditis.

This was the case with a friend of mine. He had constrictive pericarditis and his doctor thought that he had restrictive cardiomyopathy. The tests showed similar results as they would for the person who has restrictive cardiomyopathy, so they started treating this condition instead of constrictive pericarditis. It took quite some time before they figured out that my friend has constrictive pericarditis and changed his treatment course.

Hey everyone,

Constrictive pericarditis symptoms overlap those of diseases as diverse as myocardial infarction (MI), aortic dissection, pneumonia, influenza, and connective tissue disorders. This overlap can confuse the most skilled diagnostician. An increased suspicion of constriction helps move constrictive pericarditis to the top of a lengthy differential diagnosis list and facilitates correct diagnosis and timely therapy.

So like others told you, the best way is to find a very, very good diagnostician and tell him all the symptoms that you have. You need to be very precise if you want the doctor to make a good conclusion here and set up a good treatment for you.