Hello all. Yesterday my sister got a dog. He is a half-breed male puppy and he is adorable! I’m thinking about stealing it. I’m serious. Anyway, since the puppy is so young, he seems pretty weak and you have to feel the need to protect him when you see him. He is so small. The vet told us that we need to take good care of him cause his immune system is still weak. Since my dog caught parvovirus last year and luckily he survived, my sister would like to ask you guys how can she prevent her puppy from catching this virus?

Hi there parvovirus is a very nasty and hearty virus. It can live in the environment for up to two years. The best thing to do would be to keep this new dog away from your yard or anywhere that you're old dog came in contact with. In order to kill the virus anywhere  your dog pooped or may have walked in contaminated areas with poop from it's paws needs to be bleached.   How old is your puppy?  They can get a parvovirus vaccine at 6 weeks then it is boosters every 3-4 weeks for the next 3 times

Awful virus. And, I know the feeling when you want to keep some cute dog :) I have a few tips for you, and for your sister as well, how to prevent parvo in dogs. First, your dog needs to be vaccinated. This is something that you need to do while he is still young. Also, you should limit your puppy or unvaccinated dog’s exposure to other dog, until both of them are vaccinated.  Avoid all those places where vaccinated dogs can be. You told us that this dog is weak, so if you see that he is vomiting, had diarrhea or if he is avoid to eat, visit the vet. 

Hi, rubylock.

Biomajor10 gave you an excellent advice. In order to prevent parvo in dogs you need to vaccinate them and they need to avoid other dogs who were diagnosed with parvo.

The bad news for you is that this little puppy needs to be moved away from your yard for at least a year.

You cannot kill virus with regular soaps and disinfectants and many places in your yard are still contaminated. The experts recommend that you use half a cup of bleach diluted in a gallon of water for cleaning the critical areas. But remember, the parvo virus can survive in clothes, carpets, shoes, even in floors. That’s why your house isn’t a safe place for your sister’s dog. 

Thank you a lot guys. :) Biomajor10, I didn’t know that puppies are getting vaccinated in only 6 weeks after they’re born. I thought that the vaccine must wait for at least half a year. That is really good news. I will tell that to my sister as soon as I see her. I think he is born 2 months ago so if I understood correctly he can already get the vaccine?

I will also tell her about those vaccine boosters that he needs to get 3 more times.

Also, I didn’t know that parvovirus is so persistent. Damn, I must bleach my whole yard to destroy it.

Before my current position in human medicine I worked in veterinary medicine for 13 years.... Typical puppy protocol is parvo at 6 weeks then distemper (which also includes parvo and adenovirus) in it at 8, 12, 16 weeks and rabies at about 16 weeks as well. It's also not a bad idea to deworm and check a stool sample for intestinal parasites.....

My sister has a very negative experience with medications, I talked to her today and I mentioned these things that you’ve told me. She seemed as if she already knew that, but for some reason she doesn’t want to do it. She doesn’t like vaccines and she read somewhere that they might have some nasty side effects.

When she asked if there is a way to prevent this virus, she meant to ask if there’s any particular food or natural ingredient that will make her dog more immune to this virus. 

I, on the other hand, think you’re right about the vaccine. 

:O But she can’t do that! Does she have any idea how hard would it be for her puppy to survive this virus if he hadn’t receive the vaccine?

Please tell her that parvovirus is spreading very quickly among dogs and that dogs who haven’t been vaccinated are at high risk of getting it. The chances for survival for them are significantly smaller than for the dogs who get their vaccines regularly.

There is no magic food that prevents parvovirus, a healthy diet can probably help since it will enhance his immune system, but that’s definitely not enough. I’m afraid she will regret her decision. 

I agree parvovirus is very nasty and most puppies do not survive. The side affects or chances of side effects are much less than that of parvovirus.... Plus there are vaccines required by law such as rabies and distemper (at least in the US). Most vets will not see a pet if they are not up to date. There are also medications to treat vaccine reactions in the small chance that one does occur

Biomajor10  I really didn’t know that this is the case. I know that puppies needs to avoid and stay away from infected dogs, but I didn’t know this about the vaccination. I want to have a dog as well one day, but I am not so sure is this a good option, because I am really scared of parv. What if I do everything to stop this, and still he catches parvo? I think that this would kill me. I know a little bit about it, but not a lot. What are the best meds to treat parvo in dogs? 

You told us some really good advices in here. I am really happy when I am here, and I can learn more, even if I am pretty sure that I do know a lot about pravo in dogs. I have a dog, and I do know the feeling when you are scared for him.

The worst thing is that this virus can spread very, very quickly, and this is something that I am scared of. In this case, I really do believe that your vet will give you some meds for this treatment.

And, I think that is a little bit funny when you don’t want to have a dog, just because you are scared that he can caught some disease. If you want to have a dog, you need to take care of him, on the proper way. Right?

Hey this is biomajor10 I wasn't able to sign in at the moment. Honestly the best things for Parvo is vaccination so your puppy does not get it. Treatment is very expensive because it generally requires the puppy to be hospitalized with IV fluids anti-vomiting, anti-diarrhea medication, nutritional supplements and lots of nursing care. The main cause of death is from dehydration and the effects of extensive vomiting and diarrhea. Parvovirus is a virus therefor antibiotics will not work and you just have to let the virus run its coarse and either the puppy can fight and get through it or the virus wins and the puppy doesn't make it. :(