Good day everyone.

My dad just called me. He was sick today so my mom insisted and they went to the hospital.  When my dad was 10 year old boy he was diagnosed with Constrictive Pericarditis but when he was 19 or 20 years old doctors told him that he is cured and that there is no sign of this issue.

Today, they told him that he has constrictive pericarditis again. Is it possible that he is diagnosed with same disease after several years?

Now what? He is an older guy now and I don’t know how he is going to deal with it.

Hey there The Big Z.

I am sorry to hear this but it can happen very often. Now, he needs to receive the treatment. The treatment for acute pericarditis may include medications for pain and inflammation. Also, there is a big possibility that the treatment includes ibuprofen – in very large doses. Depending on what is the cause of pericarditis in his case, the doctor will definitely prescribe appropriate antibiotic for him.

Do you have any idea when he started to have symptoms? What were the symptoms that made him see his doctor? Have you noticed anything?

Good luck.

Hey. This disease occurs when your heart cannot stretch as much as it should when it beats. Well, this can prevent your heart chambers from filling up with the proper amount of the blood. This usually leads to the symptoms of a heart failure.

But the cause of constrictive pericarditis is not always known so basically I can’t tell you why this disease returned after several years.

One thing I do know that he will need to treat this ASAP. Possible causes of this diseases are : heart surgery, radiation therapy to the chest and even the tuberculosis.

Hey there.

Constrictive pericarditis is very hard to diagnose. So, maybe he should look for some other opinion because maybe the diagnose is wrong.

Signs and symptoms of this disease are very similar to some other conditions, such as restrictive cardiomyopathy and cardiac tamponade. So your doctor will need to rule out these condition when he is making a diagnose.

A lot of doctors are making same mistake.

If the diagnose is right, than the main goal of the treatment is to improve heart function. The cause of it must be identified and treated and depending on source of the problem, treatment can include antibiotics, medicines or some other treatment.