Hi. A few days ago I went to ordinary physical examination. It is ordinary thing in our company and I know that we are not the only company with this procedure. Now, they noticed something different in my case so they wrote all those referrals and they sent me to one doctor and then to another one etc.

After all those boring tests they told me that I have chronic constrictive pericarditis and they told me more about it because I don’t know a thing about it. They recommended me to do a pericardiectomy. I asked my friend about this and he told me that he wouldn’t recommend me to do it. Why? Should I do it?  

Hey. As your doctors already told you, chronic pericarditis is long – lasting, gradual inflammation of the pericardium and it is caused by accumulation of fluid in the pericardial space or thickening of the pericardium. This disease makes a lot of patients nervous but that is normal.

Now, I was wondering why your friend told you not to have pericardiectomy?

A lot of patients require this procedure, but patients should definitely be observed for the improvement on a medical treatment for a period before this procedure. This procedure is the gold standard for chronic constrictive pericarditis. Consult your doctor but I believe that it is ok.

Is your friend a doctor? Cause if not, it would probably be better to listen to those people who went through years of med school and who think that pericardiectomy is the best option.

Of course it is better to treat it with anti-inflammatory drugs for a while and see if it will get better or not, but since they told you that they recommend a surgical procedure there must be a reason for that. They probably noted that they are dealing with an advanced case of Chronic Constrictive Pericarditis and that in that case surgical procedure is the best option.

I think that you should do it. I mean I’m not a doctor either but I believe that those doctors decided what’s best for you.

I understand that you are probably scared but think about what’s better for you.

You will stay in the hospital about 5 to 7 days. After you get home you will start recovering. You will be able to have physical activities but not those that include lifting.

You can expect full recovery to start after 6 weeks or sometimes more.

When you are really sick before the surgery, recovery might take more than 8 weeks.   

Hey there.

So, it is obviously that no one of us is a doctor but I also recommend you to visit your doctor. It is nothing that scary and I really don’t see any reason why your friend told you not to visit doctor. I really do believe that you will have successful surgery if you decide to go to it. And that you will have a long life with your friends and your family.

You should definitely have a pericardiectomy because once you do this you will have totally new, pericarditis – free life.

Wish you all the best.

Umm I was in this situation years ago. My doctor told me to do a pericardiectomy. Back then I wasn’t aware of the seriousness of this procedure. I was younger and I decided to listen to my doctor since he knew all about my condition from the start.
Luckily for me, my doctor had to move to another country and I was transferred to another doctor.
He called me and I remember going to see him many times. And then he decided that pericardiectomy was not really necessary.
He told me about the treatment options and told me he thinks he can take care of me using some drugs.

Hi. I support that everyone here already told you. You need to go to your doctor and you should definitely do Pericardiectomy. I know some people who had this procedure and nothing happened to them. They were fine, much healthier and now they are living a long and quality life as well. The only “problem” is recovery process because you need to rest a lot, and that is a little bit hard if you are active in your ordinary life, but if you want to remain healthy that should be your problem.

So, go to your doctor, ask him every question about this procedure and go for it.

Hello.

Symptoms of chronic constrictive pericarditis can include shortness of breath, coughing, fatigue. The cause, if they find out which cause is, is treated. Sometimes surgery to remove pericardium is needed. This disease is considered chronic if it last longer than 6 months. There are two main types of chronic pericarditis, and I do believe that you already know which one you have.   About your question, you should definitely do this procedure since chronic constrictive pericarditis is rare and you need to do everything to treat it. I don’t understand why your friend told you so, but I think that you should not listen to him without consulting your doctor.

Good luck.

Hey guys,

I think it's up to you whether or not do you want to try with anti-inflammatory medications first. If you are scared of pericardiectomy, you can try with these drugs but it is not a 100% chance that this will work out. On the other hand, pericardiectomy is known as the best thing to do when you have a chronic constrictive pericarditis, with a very big success rate. 

The procedure won't be painful or anything, but it will take some time for you to get back to your normal activities after the surgery. As they already wrote above, this might take around two to three months.