I suffer from duodenal ulcers for three years now. I am a manager in a big company so I guess my health was damaged due to the stress on work. I smoked a lot and drank alcohol (not much at all, but almost every night). I stopped with all that now, since I have been diagnosed, and I am taking Ranitidine. Is there any other way to treat duodenal ulcers rather taking this drug?.

Ranitidine is H2 blocker. It inhibits the effect of the H2 receptors and in that way decreases the secretion of HCL, which affects negatively the beginning of intestines, duodenum. There are many medications used to deal with duodenal ulcers. Those are different protectors of the mucus in intestines, blockers of Na channels, prostaglandins etc. Before changing the therapy you need a consultation with a doctor, please do not rush into this.