Whenever I stop smoking, I take to the gym, watch what I eat and then severe stomach bloat. I look like I'm ready to deliver a 10 lb baby. This has happened many times. I have search online for years and can't find the answer to this problem. My pcp has put me on fluid pills and it does not help. I soon as I start smoking the bloat disappears. This happens also when I start any excercise program. It is not muscle developing, but severe bloat. I wonder if anyone out there may know the cause. My PCP is at a loss. Last year I stopped smoking for 3 months and did aerobics everyday. I gained 3 inches around my abdomen. I have a large belly to begin with and the frustration of looking like a weeble is devistating to me.

My family thought this was all in my head because they felt I wanted to start smoking again. Until the last time I quit and my husband watched my efforts and could not believe the weight gain around my abdomen. I need to stop smoking but I can't go on looking like Mrs. Claus. Thank for any input. :'(

When my best friend quit smoking, a few days later she got paralyzed and couldn't get out of bed. She couldn't move her legs at all and leave the bed. She panicked and the first thing she took was the cigarettes. Once she has her cigarettes, the paralysis went away. In the mind or not???

doe wrote:

My family thought this was all in my head because they felt I wanted to start smoking again. Until the last time I quit and my husband watched my efforts and could not believe the weight gain around my abdomen. I need to stop smoking but I can't go on looking like Mrs. Claus. Thank for any input. :cry:

I am upset to see that no one offered any inout after the previous cry for help regarding a bloated stomach after quitting smoking. It is true hell!
I have experienced the same phenomenon twice now. I actually went to the doctor lat time for it-they were clueless. I eventually just passed it off as weight gain, and guess what? I started smoking again. As soon as I started smoking again the distended stomach was suddenly a problem of the past. Well this time I am excercising and eating very healthy to avoid the gain. Unfortunately my stomach has other plans! It is so distended all the time. If anyone knows what the hell to do for this please HELP!

I am upset to see that no one offered any input after the previous cry for help regarding a bloated stomach after quitting smoking. It is true hell!
I have experienced the same phenomenon twice now. I actually went to the the doctor the first time I quit -they were clueless. I eventually just passed it off as weight gain and started smoking again. Once I started lighting up again the distended stomach was suddenly a problem of the past. Well this time I am excercising and eating very healthy to avoid the weight gain. Unfortunately my stomach has other plans! It is so distended at times that I feel and look as though I am pregnant.The distension is so extreme that my pant size varies from sizes 4-10! If anyone knows what, why or how to help-please let us know!

I am 67 years old and quit smoking 24 months ago after puffing away for 50 years.
Ever since I stopped smoking, I have developed severe digestive problems (vomiting, diarrhea, bloating). I eat and 3-5 hours later, I throw up or fill up with gas. All foods are a problem. I am down to eating only soup. Weight is way down.
Have been tested for everything: Crohns', gall bladder stones, colonoscopy, etc. Was recently found to be lactose intolerant but feel that this is a red herring. At my age, I don't exactly gorge up on milk and milk derivatives.
I suspect that my gut flora is (totally) out of whack but could that be related to smoking? Anybody out there has any idea? Should I start smoking again?

I am having the same problem. every time I quit severe bloating and gas. my doctor just gave me a fluid pill for it. I wish someone new what to do. the last time I quit, everyone was asking me when the baby was due, ha ha Im 51. You wouldt think the docs would know what this is with all the people that are quitting now adays

Guest wrote:

I also am experiencing the bloating problem. I have quit smoking twice and I can't remember if this happened the first time or not, but I have been cigarette free for four days and my stomach has been so bloated and distended it's killing me. I look pregnant. I am really discouraged now after reading these postings.

I have had the stomach bloat everytime I quit smoking. 10 yrs ago I had it for 6 months when someone asked me when I was due. I started smoking again. Since then I discovered the problem. I quit 2 months ago and emediately swelled up to look 9 months pregnant along with gas and indigestion. I went online to swansonvitamins and ordered digestive enzymes with bile, hydrochloric acid, and ultimate probiotic formula (whic is the good bacteria you intestine needs). two weeks later I feel 100% better, most of the swelling is gone now, no gas, no indigestion. It could take longer if you've been this way for a long while, but it will definately work. I just cant figure out why quitting messes up our digestion. It didnt matter if I quit cold turkey or used a quit smoking aid either, and the doctors dont know either. I went the water pill route also. It did nothing. good luck

Thank you so much for this information. I thought I was the only one who suffered like this every time I stopped smoking.

gladg wrote:

Hello All

Im having the same problem with bloating. Today is 5 days since i quit. I am using the nicotine patch. The bloating and gas are horrible. I look like im 7 months pregnant, and its just so uncomfortable, its hard to even sit. Im fine when i wake up in the morning, but then right away the blaoting starts. Anyone that has any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

my last posting about the enzymes and bacteria should have said that you need to take more than the reccommened daily allowance on the bottles. I took 3 digestive enzymes and 1 of the bacteria with each meal. I took A picture of my stomach before I started and I cant believe how big it was. anyone that wants to see the picture or has any questions can e-mail me direct at _[removed]_. Also has anyone tried my suggestions and the results. dont give up, it takes a little while.

I did more research on our problem. found out that nicotine speeds up your digestion. when you stop smoking everything slows down to a snails pace. thats why we are so bloated and constipated. eat a lot of fiber and take metamucil for a while along with the digestive enzymes, and probiotics. seems our bodies arent used to producting the enzylmes and bile we need for digestion. keep your bowels moving, and stay away from gassy foods, which make it worse. I am on the atkins diet, I seem to do better without the carbohydrates especially bread, which makes you gassy. anybody want to keep in touch with me Im at _[removed]_

gladg wrote:

Hey mate... exactly what pill did you use to help you??? There's heaps of digestive enzymes out there. Is there a name for that one you used?

I'm dying here. I'm nearly 3 months into my nonsmoking ways. Loving it outside of my constant pain in my bloated stomach. I eat less, i exercize more although I was always a fanatic about health and exercize. Now.. my belly feels horrible all the time. This morning I was doing laps while having such bad belly cramps. I didn't even eat yet. WHY???? I need those pills!!!

Getting a colonic over the weekend. Horrible thing to have done, but something has got to work. Or i'll start smoking!!

Thanks all!

thanks to everyone who shared there personal details, i really thought i was the only person suffering, i have quit for 6weeks now and still getting hugh amount of bloating and very embarrassing wind and problems passing stools, this has happened every time i have quit and has lead me start again (just one smoke and it stops) the gastric problem stops me going the gym through embarrassment. i will try the pro and pre biotic idea anything is worth a try and i am really sure i do not wish to smoke