I have been taking, without a script, any type of prescription painkiller (mostly four percocet 30mg's per day) for the past four years on and off. On my ''off'' days, which usually will be two weeks in a row out of the month, I find some Subs from a friend with a script and buy two 8mg Suboxones. I then break up both pills into 6 pieces total. (Split one Sub in half and the other one into four quarters) I take an entire suboxone on the 1st day; half and half. On the second day I take two of the quarters, and the third day I take the last two quarters. I have NEVER experienced any type of withdrawal while using Suboxone. I was surprised to hear that actually happens. You see, only a couple of 8mg Subs are needed to block the opioid receptors, therefore defeating withdrawal symptoms from your favorite opiate.

The reason why many experience withdrawal from Suboxone is because Subs have a half-life of three days. This means that for every pill of Suboxone a person takes, it stays in the system for three days. Suboxone withdrawal is also due to the lengthy amount of time the drug is taken; or should I say, prescribed? It is true that pharmaceutical companies are controlled by the government. It is a HUGE and extremely profitable industry to say the least, and how on earth will the government keep profiting from the pharmaceutical companies if doctors actually prescribed the correct dosage?! Think about it: we wouldn't even be having this conversation about Suboxone had we not become addicted to PRESCRIBED (and readily available on the street) pain killers. So here we are again, back to square one. And, to make a long story short, without too much conspiracy theory thrown in, DOCTORS AND THE GOVERNMENT WANT TO KEEP US ON SOMETHING SO THEY KEEP PROFITING.

Doctors say, "You want to get off opiates...sure! Take some Suboxone, but you'll have to take it for life!" My question is: what the hell is the difference?

So, hopefully this post is read before one more poor, hopeless, opiate addicted soul walks into their doctor's office for an RX of Suboxone. If you don't want to buy them off the street (which I don't recommend), only ask your doc for four or five (at the most) 8mg Subs. That'll be plenty for your detox - you'll see!

For those of you going through the awful withdrawal of Suboxone, I feel for you. Although I haven't been there with those, I've been there with others. I usually feel better on day 5. Anyway, for symptom relief, google 'thomas recipe'. Believe me...this works. Although you will not feel 100% better from this great recipe, it'll definitely help ease the withdrawal symptoms a lot.

Good luck, everyone. Remember...everything is better in moderation!

-Jen

Sounds like you really know what your talking about. I'm not condoning the use of opiates but if your going to use them you might as well use it right and follow your method. Yes most people stay on Suboxone way to long. They might as well as just stay on the drugs they were taking because it's like the same thing...... Just one question have you tried not using the suboxone at all? just asking because that is a low dosage of percecets you are taking and I'm not sure you would even need the suboxone to prevent the withdrawal symptoms. I was taking about 50-60mg per day of ocycontin, percs, and vicodine for about 4 months. i stopped without anything and really didn't have to much withdrawal. I did have some anxiety, and a little depression but thats just common when discontinuing and drug that makes you happy.

Yall two are obviously the types who don't understand addiction... people in the situation where they are taking 10 times the amount you do each day just to feel normal feel trapped and suboxone is a way out... there is no abuse potential to speak of, and you don't get high on it if you are dependant upon opiates. This gives the person a chance to learn to live in a normal mind and when it comes time to wean off... the cravings are much less apparent because you weren't getting high the whole time you were using the drug. The reason i am sure neither of you have any clue about opiates or addiction is because any real junkie first of all wouldn't ramble on about the senseless sh*t written on this post, and second EVERY pill popper knows percocet doesn't come in anything but 5 and 10 mg.... the 30's are roxicet/roxicodone. its the imm release. this is pill 101 sh*t, so if you would please not talk about this like you know until youve been to hell and back. I promise you anyone who has been truely addicted has been to the bottom of the barrel cause thats where this sh*t takes you every time you are not different.

Jen's method is correct although some may need a few more days. Call inpatient opiate detox centers yourselves if you want to confirm.

Jen, great post

I HAVE BEEN TAKING SUBS FOR A LITTLE OVER A YEAR, BOUT A WEEK AGO I STOPPED TAKING THEM. I AM FEELING THE WORST I HAVE EVER FELT IN MY LIFE. MY LEGS ARE RESTLESS I CANT MAKE THEM FEEL COMFORTABLE I FEEL LIKE I HAVE TO KEEP MOVING THEM, I AM SWEATN BUT AT THE SAME TIME IM FREEZING WITH GOOSE BUMPS, IM SHAKING, I HAVE A RUNNY NOSE AND THE SNIFFLES. I ALSO FEEL SO WEAK I CNT REALLY FUNCTION AT ALL, I CANT EAT CANT EVEN REALLY DRINK ANYTHING. AND SLEEPING.......FORGET IT, ITS NOT POSSIBLE AT ALL. THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER. I WISH I WOULDA NEVER STARTED TAKING THEM I WISHING I WOULDA JUST KEPT DOING DOPE. DONT KNOW IF IT MATTER THAT I WAS SHOOTING THE SUBS OR IF I STILL WOULD OF HAD THE WITHDRAWL EITHER WAY.

Its the worst of the worst my friend. I kicked subs over a year ago. Unfortunately im an addict so I never took them as prescribed or should I say ive never taking anything as prescribed. It does say in the warnings that come with the medications that if you shoot suboxobe,symptoms are worse. But I kicked for 12 straight days. All the symptoms,even slept on the kitchen floor one night cause that was the only place I relaxed for an hour after taking 8 baths a day. Hang in their,theres a better way. If nothing changes,nothing changes. I was on 48 mgs a day when I should of been on 24. Was doing that for a uear and a half. But I kicked like a mother and I definately will remember the pain,its a great motivator!!

Try taking up to 4 patches of fentanyl and eating that much daily, then jumping off cold turky. To eat that much fentanyl is a HUGE namount of opiates. Oh and did that for 3 years. If ya ever thought suboxone withdrawal was rough, alot of people have seem the true hell the STRONG opiates (fent/dope) can be. If ever there was a time to put a gun in your mouth.....

2-3 Subs should be all u need. I was taking 240mgs of oxy everyday if not more for at least 2 months. up. My deal was do the last dose of oxy right when u wake up and make it through the rest of the day. Then the next morning it will have been 24 hours and u can take subs. Take 1/2 of an 8-2 sub and wait an hour. If doesnt take away withdrawl, take other half. Then the next day take half of what u took day b4. do this for 2 more days and you will be off subs withdrawl free. If u take for more then a week u will withdrawl. Stick to the plan and ull be good!

Jen, finally I found someone else on these forums who knows what they're talking about.  I was just about to find a place to post the same information when I saw yours.  Of course it's true that everyone is different and is in their own unique situation (ex. 4 fentanyl patches a day...wow!!!) and may need treatment beyond suboxone, but I was addicted to vicoden, oxys, pretty much whatever I could get my hands on including street heroin a couple times.  At my worst I was taking up to 15-20 10 mg vics a day (which I know for some may not seem too bad..but it is.  believe me).  At that point I found suboxone purely by chance on the street and was fortunate enough to be told that all I needed was a 1/4 (2 mg) a day and that I should be fine.  I had no withdrawal symptons while on the subs, however I took a 1/4 a day for about 8 days then stopped.  I was completely fine for about 3 days and then had what I would consider minor withdrawal, cold sweats, little achy, which lasted a couple days and then I was clean...and at the time I knew far too little about suboxone and didn't even know for sure that I was feeling WD from the subs.  Unfortunately I was young, dumb, had other friends who weren't ready to stop, and I ended up in a pattern of relapse, subs, relapse, subs etc.  After the last big relapse and getting up to 15 pills a day again, I decided to see a Dr that a friend recommended who had prescribed him subs.  I was appalled that this Dr prescribed my friend 16 mg a day to start!  The poor guy was spending as much on the script as he had been on pills, plus he was taking waaay more than he needed.  When I saw the Dr I played kinda dumb and told him I couldn't afford that much and that I'd like to try a smaller dose to see how it goes.  But since I was still in the dark about sub WD I took his advice and started on a slightly higher dose, anxious to stop my vic WD.  Because of the amount he prescribed I got into the habit of taking 2 strips (4 mg) a day for months, thinking it was better than relapsing again.  Sometimes I took more because I was stressed and felt the slightest high from it, I had trained my brain to need SOMETHING to be ok.  But then I found it nearly impossible to get myself back to 2 mg a day.  I was on it for over a year and it's only in the past couple months that I weened myself slowly down to 1 mg a day for a week, then took the last 1 mg dose on Thursday morning.  It's now Tuesday (3rd day of work missed).  We all know the feeling so I won't detail it, but Friday was horrible, Saturday was much worse, Sunday was barely better, yesterday was not quite as bad, and so far this morning I'm feeling a little cold, a little less energy, but mostly normal.  It's been coming in waves though so I expect some more discomfort and lethargy today and probably little bouts of it over the next week.

So, sorry for the long post, but the main point is that many Dr.s really know very little about how this stuff should be used, aside from what their drug company rep (pusher) tells them.  And obviously the drug company is banking HUGE profits from this stuff and the Dr.s get a piece of the pie.  That's not to say all Dr.s are bad, or that none of them know the best thing for their patient, but I can tell you from personal experience and from the experience of my friend who is still spending $700 a month on the stuff and struggling to ween down to less than 8 mg a day, that there is no need whatsoever for anyone to be taking 24 mg a day for months and months.  Even if you have a habit much heavier than mine I can be reasonably sure from experience that you can get by with a much smaller dose and that it should be taken for as short a time as you can without the chance of relapse.  The only reason to remain on it for a long period is if you're simply not ready to stop using opiates, and even then you should be tapering and using as small an amount as is necessary to stop cravings and keep from being sick.  I am glad that I found suboxone and I do believe it can help people immensely, but I wish so much that someone had explained to me in the beginning the dangers of prolonged use and the fact that in the end you'll be going through the same pain (or some believe worse pain) than just quitting whatever other opiate you're on.

My advice to anyone thinking of using it is to take as little as you can manage without discomfort and slowly taper to as low as you can before stopping.  I'm on day 5 and I'm almost free of this horrible sh*t (again).  Then comes the biggest challenge....staying off for good.  

Good luck everyone.

You know I have been reading these forums and I thought what the h*ll and I'm gonna put my two cents in since I am a recovering addict and have been on both opiates and Suboxone. First let me say F*CK suboxone. I was taking 12 percocet 10/325mg and snorting about 3 opanaER 20mg's a day and I had become a prisoner and I wanted out. So I heard about this "Miracle Drug" and thought okay I can do this, and now I wished I never had. I guess all I really want to do is just educate you guys a little about Subs because unfortunately I didn't do enough reseach myself. It wasn't until my boyfriend began researching it for me and it got me doing the same after I ecided to quit cold turkey, big mistake btw don't ever do that sh*t. I started by taking 4 of the 8-2mg Subs a day and over a period of about 5 months i went down to 3 and days then 2 months later went to 2 a day and then I just quit cold turkey. Suboxone is made up of buhrenorphine and naloxone, the buphrenorphine is 4 parts agonist and 2 parts antagonist. The buphrenorphine is the 4 part that is a opiate and the naloxone is the 2 part antagonist. The first time I did a Sub I was so high i couldn't slow myself down, I was going full speed, so contrary to popular belief yes Subs do get you high. Also did you know that Suboxone was only tested for 16 WEEKS before the FDA approved it, yea so in return because it wasn't tested for a long period of time there are no real sure long term side effects, but let tell you about the withdrawals, which made me want to jump off the nearest bridge I could get to. Because I failed to reseach the drug fully I unfortunately had the worst withdrawals I have ever gone thorugh in my entire life. These are just someof the withdrawal symptoms, oh and by the way unlike percs, tabs, roxys, or oxys these withdrawal symptoms can last anywhere from 1-2 MONTHS.....profuse sweating, decreased libido, lack of motivation, sadness, low energy levels, decreased hormonal levels such as decreased testosterone in men and decreased estrogen in women, decreased muscle mass, tone and strength, lack of zest for life and flat feeling, feeling little emotion and hopelessness, now remember these withdrawals can last UP TO 1-2 MONTHS, as opposed to 5-10 days with percs or whatever narcotic you're currently taking. SO my advice to you is if you really want to quit taking the opiates try to figure out another way besides Suboxone because its just as addictive, I know its hard and its really scarey because I was there too, but if I had it to do over again knowing what I do now about Suboxone I would take a 5-10 withdrawal over a 1-2 month withdrawal any day. I hope this helps some of you and if not I'm sorry i tried. Seriously though Good Luck to all of you out there trying to make a better life for yourself, I know it sucks and its rough but its worth it in the long run.

Tiff-

Hey Tiff I just read your post. Can you PLEASE help me?!?!?! Okay so I was going to the methadone clinic for a year and two months. The highest dose I got up to was 60 then went down to 55 and stayed there for the rest of my time there. I got tired of the ball and chain so last Saturday I went up took my dose and didnt go back. I found a sub doctor. So I took my methadone dose on Saturday, didnt take anything on sun,mon and then went to the sub doctor on Tuesday at 10:15 and took my first dose of subutex at 12:30. Today (thursday 3.8.12) is my 3rd day on subutex. I am prescribed (1) 8mg pill a day. Now I know Its only my 3rd day but I am feeling anxious as hell (like Im having panic attacks) my legs feel like I have restless leg syndrome, I feel as though Im in a world where I dont belong. It's weird as hell. Should I wait to taper myself off or should I just go ahead and do it now???? I dont want the ball and chain with these as well. So, if I want to do as you said to do how can I do this? Can you help me???

Hey jhamilton first let me say this because you probably haven't heard from anywhere else, I'm proud of you. Now let's begin you said you are on subutex, that's not the same as suboxone. What you are on is all opiate. You are taking the buphenorphine part of a suboxone without the opiate blocker in it so you are now going through methadone withdrawals. You need to contact your doctor immediately and tell them you need suboxone, NOT SUBUTEX. Oh God how if you only knew how bad I felt for you right now. Your doctor replaced a opiate with an opiate. The two get mixed up quite a bit but without the naloxone that you need to block the receptors in your brain I fear you are going to have a rough weekend. I honestly don't know how to help you further more at this point bc you're not taking what you need to successfully make it through the opiate withdrawals at this time. Like I said contact your suboxone doctor immediately and unfortunately emergency rooms doctors DO NOT have the special certification to prescribe you the subs. This is going to sound shitty but it's all I know to do.....go back to methadone clinic to get you through the weekend and FIRST THING MONDAY CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!!!! I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you right now but if you have ANY questions just reply back and I will go from there. In the meantime I will do some more research to see if I can find any alternatives that can further assist you right now.

OMG! Please don't listen to the id**t who just posted! I don't post on these things but had to try and save you from the worst advice of your life. I know he means well but he knows NOTHING about suboxone or subutex!!! Yes, subutex doesn't have naloxone in it but other than that it is the EXACT SAME DRUG, and the safer of the two bc you are only putting one chemical in your body rather than two. Naloxone does absolutely NOTHING except deter people from "abusing" the drug (aka shooting it up). If you are feeling shitty, it is probably bc the suboxone is not strong enough to mask the methadone withdrawals. Typically with methadone patients, they bring you down to at least 40 mg per day before you can switch to suboxone bc methadone is such a strong drug. Take a little more of your sub and see if you feel any better. Call your doctor Monday morning and tell him how you were feeling and see if he says you need more or what. Taking sub to get off of methadone will be different from the experiences above bc they were taking short-acting opiates so they only needed a few days of sub to come out on the other side of the withdrawal period. Methadone is a few weeks to a month to detox from so don't beat yourself up if you need subs for longer than the other posters stated. Good luck, you are on the right track and OMG DO NOT GO BACK TO THE CLINIC! You have 6 days off methadone and you are doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing, please don't take his advice. He means well but taking that advice will start you BACK AT SQUARE 1!!!

Just a few questions for the above poster. I'm not trying to be argumentative at all but if a drug is missing a chemical compound then it can't be the exact same thing. The naloxone is the opiate blocker the antagonist of suboxone. Also it has nothing to do with shooting them up, especially since beginning April 1, 2012 the suboxone in pill form will no longer be available and everyone will be onthe strips. So my questions are if you don't mind me asking, what opiate and how much were you on before you began taking suboxone? I'm sorry I'm a little ticked off bc yea even though he has been clean 6 days the withdrawals are hellasious and that's why when you start feeling the withdrawals you take Suboxone not Subutex. The naloxone in the Suboxone is what stops the withdrawals. I know it may have been shitty to tell them to go back to the clinic but if they want to help themselves then one time back to save them from a weekend of hell until they can get the proper medication is worth it. I had to do it a few times till the doctor got the dosage right and I'm still clean and healthy and happy. Like I said before I'm really not trying to argue or offend anyone but I know what it's like, I've been there numerous times and it f*cking sucks and all I was trying to do was get them through the weekend bc the subutex won't help it has a ceiling effect as does suboxone. You can only get so high and then you're just wasting it.

what are you talking about? the naloxone does not block the withdrawl? you have no idea what you are talking about and should not be giving advice on this subject. the buprenorhpine ITSELF does the blocking because it is part aganist, part antagoist. Stop telling people the wrong things, get your facts straight.