Hello, our doctor recommended ablation therapy to treat Atrial fibrillation. I understood that it can be performed both surgically and non-surgically. I was hoping to hear some detail. I’ll appreciate any help. Can ablation be helpful in correcting arrhythmias?

I know that non-surgical ablation is performed in labs by putting a catheter into your heart and then a special machine is used to direct energy to the heart muscle. This energy either "disconnects" or "isolates" the pathway of the abnormal rhythm and it can also be used to disconnect the electrical pathway between the upper chambers and the lower chambers of the heart. For those that require heart surgery, ablation can be performed during coronary artery bypass or valve surgery, but the type of ablation performed depends upon the type of arrhythmia and the presence of other heart disease.

My daughter had an ablation for her SVT. She is 19 years old. She had been living with it for about 5 years and finally last summer she decided that she had had enough with the worry every time her heart would start beating up to 240 beats per minute. She had the ablation last August and has had a wonderful recovery. It is definitely used successfully to correct arrythmias.