Hello there. So I had a stroke a couple of months ago and I was out of my country. I was in Columbia and they treated me there. After those couple of months, I have decided to go to my doctor and see is everything OK now (I know, silly me).  He was shocked when I came because he didn't even know that I had a heart attack. He told me that I probably have a stokes - adams disease and that is the reason why i had this attack. Can you tell me - what is Stokes-Adams disease and what are its symptoms?

Hell. Can you tell us what exactly has happened to you when you were at the vacation? I am really surprised that your doctor didn’t told you anything about this.  Stroke adams disease is a sudden collapse due to the disorder of the heart rhythm. Now in this condition, when this happens the normal heartbeat passing from the upper chambers of the heart to the lower chambers is interrupted. This results in a condition is actually called a "heart block." When this condition occurs, the heart rate usually slows considerably. This can cause inadequate blood flow to the brain and result in fainting.

Hello there. It can be very serious condition. There are so many syptoms that can determine are you dealing with stroke – adams diseases or with something else. Actually, I think that those indicators are different than any other heart issues. For example, loss of consciousness is usually between about 10 and 30 seconds. And the symptoms are:

• Pallor, followed by flushing on recovery, can be reported.
  • Some seizure-like activity sometimes occurs if the attack is prolonged.
  • If anyone manages to check the pulse during an episode, it will be slow,
  • fast heart beats,
  • Typically, complete (third-degree) heart block is seen on the EKG during an attack.
  • Attacks can happen a number of times in one day.

Hello there you two. Thank you so much. I was really surprised when he told me that I have this diagnose. Now, let's go back to my trip in Columbia. Yes, I collapsed once or twice, I can't remember anymore but I was sure that this is because of the sun. I was at the beach all day and I was sure that sunstroke literally kicked me. But guess that I was wrong. Beside that, I was feeling OK. Now I am reading all your comments and I can see that this thing, that my diagnose is pretty serious, right?

Hi Guest,

I'll give you a quite simple example of how dangerous this can be. Say that you are somewhere high up on a mountain, and you faint. You can easily fall somewhere where others can't see you, or you can easily fall down on a rock and hurt your head badly. If you don't climb mountains or anything, think about swimming somewhere, or falling out while on some stairways. Just this one fact makes this disease dangerous.

It is proven that this disease runs inside the family as well. If someone from your family had it, you were more likely to have it yourself.

Hey Guest,

Well, a complete heart block is definitely dangerous, even if it happens for a short period of time, just enough for you to pass out. This can sure have some consequences. If I were you, I would immediately start looking for a treatment option. If I'm not wrong, there a few treatment options available but I think that the pacemaker would be the best option out there. Other than that, reversible causes such as drug toxicity should be addressed, and underlying heart disease should be managed appropriately.

I would talk to the doctor about this if I were you.

Hi everyone,

If I were you Guest, I would stick with the pacemaker option. It's a quite simple procedure really, they place a small device under your skin near the heart which main and only goal is to fix your heart rate. Since you know that in this condition, the normal heartbeat passing from the hearts upper to lower chambers is interrupted resulting in a condition called a “heart block", your heart rate slows down and this results in inadequate blood flow to the brain and fainting. Now a pacemaker would immediately "repair" your heart rate and nothing wrong would happen to you.

Hello everyone,

Well, I don't have a stokes adams disease but I did have some problem with my heart rate (I have a heart arrhythmia) and I had this pacemaker placed so I can tell you more about it if you are interested, Guest.

A pacemaker is a small device that's placed in the chest or abdomen to help control abnormal heart rhythms. This device uses electrical pulses to prompt the heart to beat at a normal rate.

Pacemakers are used to treat arrhythmias. Arrhythmias are problems with the rate or rhythm of the heartbeat. During an arrhythmia, the heart can beat too fast, too slow, or with an irregular rhythm.

Hi everyone,

This is quite a nasty disease to have there, Guest. Unlucky for you, you cannot fully treat it, you will always have it, but what you can do is get that pacemaker placed and at least that is going to fix your fainting moments.

Loss of consciousness is usually "only" between 10 and 30 seconds but it is still pretty much enough to drive everyone crazy, especially if they don't know about this condition that you are dealing with, it would certainly freak everyone out. And it definitely isn't pleasurable to feel like waking up in the middle of the room asking what happened.